Rock on with MARR!!

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent last evening hangin around a bar in Hamilton, Ontario... listening to some cool tunes.. I respect these guys so much, they are clean and drug free, hard working, and love their music. I was too much fun shooting them with the new lens, and NI helped a ton!

If you go to my website, and go in the Recent Photos Gallery, you will see all the shots I edited, ( www.rayswildlife.com ) and check out the exif files notes at the bottom of each shot... I played with the shutter speed quite a bit while shooting, as the lighting was very irratic. Please post a comment or two in the website, at the bottom of the pic page, or in the main Gallery!

also, check out their website here, I think you can dld some of their tunes.

http://www.marrmusic.ca/ I bet Woodsac would like this stuff!

Here are a few...

MARR2.jpg

MARR11.jpg

MARR27.jpg

MARR26.jpg

MARR.jpg

MARR21.jpg

MARR33.jpg

thanks for looking!

The second shot is my favourite from the series. Love the light!

Wow, unbelievable what you were able to capture in those lighting conditions. Great series.

Number 2 with the drummer is pretty incredible RJB!!

thanks everyone.. the VR lens helps!

If you look at the exif data on the website shots, you will see that at least one shot was done at 1/10 of a sec... some at 1/15

and i am shaky as all heck! along with the unbelievable sound/vibration of the band.

You did an amazing job under such conditions!

Ray - the pictures came out good even with the low lighting. I like the #2 - drummer pix.

Hey Ray, cool shots.
Love your work and Maria is absolute beautiful!!!

Was wondering if you could pass on a little advise. I checked your site and made some notes from your shots. I am going to a George Strait concert in a few weeks and I have 3rd row seats, center stage and am all new to this. I have always had point and shoot and decided to take the next step. So I don't know much. But was wondering if you could pass some pointers my way. I have two lens a 14-45mm and a 40-150mm and I really don't wanna pack both in to the concert. Can you help me out and let me know what would be the better lens. And I don't have an extra flash would that make a huge difference? I would so apperciate any help from you or anyone who could help me. Thought since these turned out so great maybe you could help a gal out. =)

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. My hubby wishes you didn't take such great pictures. He gets tired of getting outta his recliner to see what pictures "That Bird Man" has taken next. ha ha. (he has a name for you now...lol) Oh and showed him the pics of you and your little beauty yesterday and he had a good chuckle at you and your pants moment) He said, so that is "that Bird Man." So you are well know in our house. Even got my gals loving your pics. Thanks for entertaining my family. =)

Thanks again,
Tina

n2photos said:
Hey Ray, cool shots.
Love your work and Maria is absolute beautiful!!!

Was wondering if you could pass on a little advise. I checked your site and made some notes from your shots. I am going to a George Strait concert in a few weeks and I have 3rd row seats, center stage and am all new to this. I have always had point and shoot and decided to take the next step. So I don't know much. But was wondering if you could pass some pointers my way. I have two lens a 14-45mm and a 40-150mm and I really don't wanna pack both in to the concert. Can you help me out and let me know what would be the better lens. And I don't have an extra flash would that make a huge difference? I would so apperciate any help from you or anyone who could help me. Thought since these turned out so great maybe you could help a gal out. =)

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. My hubby wishes you didn't take such great pictures. He gets tired of getting outta his recliner to see what pictures "That Bird Man" has taken next. ha ha. (he has a name for you now...lol) Oh and showed him the pics of you and your little beauty yesterday and he had a good chuckle at you and your pants moment) He said, so that is "that Bird Man." So you are well know in our house. Even got my gals loving your pics. Thanks for entertaining my family. =)

Thanks again,
Tina

Tina, thanks so much, you made my day! The birdman from Alkatraz is one of my all time favorite movies, along with Cool Hand Luke.

the big mistake I made, was I left my 18-70 in the cup holder in my pick up, and only had my 80-400 with me.. I could not get a full stage shot.

Depending on the light levels.. at a concert, they vary every second as the light guy will always change the set. I usually like a manual set up for exposure.. I had the cam in full manual mode, and set the aperture wide open for all shots, and adjusted the shutter speed on the fly. anywhere from 1/10 to 1/60 I believe.

I had the ISO at 1600., leaving very noisy images, which I cleaned up with Neat Image.. thanks to Digital Matts advice.

You can see the mm in the exif data on the site that each pic was shot at., I am sure your 40 - 150 will be awesome. But, note that I was standing about 15 feet from the stage.

you will likely be shooting at a slightly higher shutter speed range then I did, this is a small bar, with not great lighting., the real key to success here is the highest ISO you can get, the widest Aperture, fastest possible shutter speed without major under-exposures, and holding that cam still. The VR in the Nikon lens means Vibration Reduction., it has a built in gyroscope that shifts the lens at the time of exposure, to compensate for hand held shakiness...

Also, try to catch your shot when the artist is frozen for a sec... Big key! even the VR can't save a 1/10 of a sec shot, when the dude is jumping up and down like a jackrabbit.

Hope this helps..

best o' luck, and please send me a pm when you have your pics up in here, so I don't miss them!

Hey thanks for all the info. Hmmmm better get to practicing. I have never used the manual modes. Since I got a few weeks I better get busy. Concert is the 25th. So time for me to crack down. Do you shoot in raw mode? Hmmmm how does the neat image thing work?
I haven't done much in the way of posting. I live in the Boonies and only thing I can get is dialup and ohhhhh it stinks. Takes me forever to do one photo. But if I get this figured out I will take the time and post them for you. I won't have to worry about GS hoping around on stage, he is a pretty still guy up there. lol Now his opening acts might be another story there....lol (Tracy Lawerence and Miranda Lambert)
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really really appreciate it. I got some book on the way to see if I can get some help. Even got the Dummies for SLR... ha ha. Lord knows they pegged me right for that one... ha ha.

I took some pics last year from his concert and had 3rd row there too. They were with my Kodak DX7590 and they turned out pretty decent. They were a little dark but pretty close. Now that I am figuring out a few things out in PS I will have to get that disk out and play around with them and clean them up and see what I can get outta them.

Thanks again,
Tina

Can't wait to see your next series of pictures!!! Hope it is a warm sunny day when you go out. We got mud mud mud here. BLAH

Excellent work Ray. The second shot...the drummer...killer pic man. Well done.

Most reactions

Back