Roku 3

BrickHouse

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody have it and use it? Thoughts? Looking to get rid of cable and this as the apps that I am really interested in (Amazon, Netflix, HBO go). Not sure if I can find a way to watch college and NFL football on it. Probably some sort of service I can subscribe to huh?

My father has one; not sure about major sports as neither of us are terribly interested in them, but there is a ton of content on it, especially if you're into documentaries, older stuff, etc.

I had a roku... It was cool and all, but I sold it and purchased and Apple TV. I've never looked back-- the UI is a hundred times better: cleaner, simpler, and nicer looking. Also, I can AirPlay my iPhone and Mac right to the TV. For me, the Apple TV is a hundred times better.

Cheers!
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Roku Three. It can handle subtitles, and I can access HBO Go, old time radio shows, and other content I couldn't with the II version. There is a new version out which is the size of a memory stick and plugs directly into an hdmi port on the TV, and it sells for $49, or half of the III. Roku is touting it as better.

I like the idea of the Apple TV as we have all Apple products but it doesn't have an Amazon app so our Prime movies couldn't play. Maybe you could play them on the computer through a browser and then get them on the TV??

I like the idea of the Apple TV as we have all Apple products but it doesn't have an Amazon app so our Prime movies couldn't play. Maybe you could play them on the computer through a browser and then get them on the TV??

That's how I've done it.

had one for a day, brought it back.
prehistoric seeming I think it ran on a android platform or something. pita to use. one day, lost my patience for it.

We've got a roku but I don't know what number. It's been relegated to movie watching and playing music lately because it's cheaper to have basic cable and internet at our new apt. We really liked it at our last place when we only had Internet though. We saved a ton of money that way and still got to watch the shows that we couldn't give up. I don't have any problem with the UI but I don't watch TV that much so my opinion about that shouldn't carry much weight.

We have 3 of them and love them. Surprised by the comment about the UI being a PITA, it seems brain dead simple. You can go from the Home screen to watching a movie in Netflix, Amazon, etc. in like 3 or 4 clicks. The UI is very responsive and I'd go as far as to say it's quite nice.

On our main family room TV we really only use it for movie watching (the Roku UI for HBO Go specifically is far quicker and easier to start up a movie then navigating through my cable box's on-demand for HBO) and occasionally Pandora. But for our other 2 TV's we use it for all TV watching; We have Time Warner cable and they have a Roku app which means that we can watch all of our Time Warner channels on the Roku which eliminates the need for a cable box on our other TV's.

The other thing that's EXTREMELY cool is the universal search. So say one day you feel like watching A Few Good Men. You just search for it and it shows you everywhere it's available (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, etc.) *and* the price for each. So it might be $2.99 in Vudu and Hulu but free with your Amazon and Netflix subscription. It just returns a big list of everywhere it's available with its price next to it. Super cool and a feature we use a lot.

It's a great little gadget. I use mine primarily for Netflix and for streaming movies from my PC to the TV.

We have 3 of them and love them. Surprised by the comment about the UI being a PITA, it seems brain dead simple. You can go from the Home screen to watching a movie in Netflix, Amazon, etc. in like 3 or 4 clicks. The UI is very responsive and I'd go as far as to say it's quite nice.

On our main family room TV we really only use it for movie watching (the Roku UI for HBO Go specifically is far quicker and easier to start up a movie then navigating through my cable box's on-demand for HBO) and occasionally Pandora. But for our other 2 TV's we use it for all TV watching; We have Time Warner cable and they have a Roku app which means that we can watch all of our Time Warner channels on the Roku which eliminates the need for a cable box on our other TV's.

The other thing that's EXTREMELY cool is the universal search. So say one day you feel like watching A Few Good Men. You just search for it and it shows you everywhere it's available (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, etc.) *and* the price for each. So it might be $2.99 in Vudu and Hulu but free with your Amazon and Netflix subscription. It just returns a big list of everywhere it's available with its price next to it. Super cool and a feature we use a lot.

I'll rephrase-the UI isn't a pain, it's just not as sleek as the Apple TV.

Most reactions

Back