Rookie Mistakes

Failing to take the shot at all.

A number of years back I was scuba diving in the Socorro Islands. I had been hoping to see a hammerhead shark. Well sure enough, on one of the dives, I saw one. I had been lagging behind a group of divers who were in a hurry to get somewhere else when the shark came slowly cruising by me. He came within about 5 feet of me and I was so mesmerized watching him that I completely forgot to get a picture.

Years ago when bald eagles first started their miraculous return to the rivers and streams in our area, I would be exactly the same as you and the shark when I caught sight of one. I was so engrossed in watching them, pictures were the last thought on my mind. I did not want to miss seeing a single second of them.

There has been a bald eagle spotted around here recently. I have been carrying my camera with my "long" zoom ready to shoot when I go out. Nothing so far...

Forgetting that the last time you used the camera you cranked the exposure comp to 11 !!

I always seem to have the wrong lens for the moment. I see great sunsets and don’t have the camera or can’t find a place to shoot without wires in the way. Forgetting to switch image stabilization on/off when using/not using tripod.

Most reactions

Back