Rotational zoom

GeneralBenson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fullertonimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what's the deal with rotational zoom. Is it worse or just different? Plusses? Minuses? I realize that you can't use Petal type hoods, and figure that you would have to fix your CP every time you zoom in or out. I'm looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR DI, because someone is selling one barely used, and maybe I can get it cheap. But I notice that al the high end lenses don't rotate, and I was just wondering what the downsides were. Thanks!

Oh weird. Because on the Tamron website, it says type of zoom: rotational; so I assumed that meant that the front element rotated. Well, good to know. So how do you like that lens? Also, I'd be interested to know the differences anyways, just for reference.

That's probably referring to the rotational zoom control...you turn zoom ring to change the focal length...as opposed to a push-pull type of zoom lens.

I think on their site they mean rotational as apposes to a push/pull type zoom. You still rotate to zoom the lens, but the front element does not rotate.EDIT:wow it took my 5 min to write this and I got beat, darn work phone calls.

I also have a canon 70-300IS lens that does rotate the front element when zooming, and other than the fact that it spins I dont see an optical difference, it takes nice photos.

I love the tamron, but you get what you pay for. I take alot of pictures, and have had my lens since xmas, and can already see some barrel wobble. I think I can get another couple years out of it, but It will need to be replaced at some point. Where as my Canon 70-200 L lens I got used 2 years ago, and is built like a friggen tank I dont see it giving way ever.

The tamron takes wonderful photos tho, most all of the recent shots on my flickr were taken with it.

I've ben reading up on it today, and some other people are seeming to have front focus problems. I'm assuming that means problems with it focusing on the foreground. Apparently some people need to either return it and get new ones a few times, or keep sending it back to tamron until it's calibrated properly. Seems kinda scary. Anyone heard of that issue?

I have heard of that issue, and was aware of it when I got my lens.

The way I see it, you hear far more about problems, people tend not to speak up when things go right.

It was a very small risk I was willing to take. Even if I got a bad one, as long as Tamron holds up their end, the only thing I would be out is time.

Also I dont do a whole lot of macro stuff, and dont shoot a ton wide open at 2.8, so even if it was front focusing, the type of photography that I do most my subjects are probably in focus anyways.

Most reactions

Back