RPS Studio 1000 Strobe malfunction

Flipkitty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a set of RPS Studio 1000 Strobe lights that I made the bad decision of taking on location with me ( they usually stay in my studio). I plugged them in and took a test shot and one of the lights popped - extraordinarily loudly! And a puff of white smoke emanated up from the center of the can. The fuse and the bulbs seem fine. Has anyone experienced this? I hate to ship it off somewhere and pay a fortune for something that I may be (fingers crossed) able to fix myself.
Any information or experience would be greatly appreciated!
-Robyn

You let the magic smoke out????? :( Appearances can be deceiving; use a multi-meter to test the flash-tube just to be sure it is okay, but from your description, I'm guessing that the power capacitor let go. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace if you can open up the head. Hopefully it will have the values written right on it, and it's just a matter of sourcing a replacement and installing it. Good luck.

Be vary careful when dealing with capacitors. They are made to store electricity, and if there is any stored charge in it, you might be in for quite a shock if you try to mess with it.

That's what they say, anyway.

They aren't a flash, they're continuous, right? Cheaper to replace than repair.

Be vary careful when dealing with capacitors. They are made to store electricity, and if there is any stored charge in it, you might be in for quite a shock if you try to mess with it.
Good point. My post was made on the presumption that someone who will attempt this has a basic electrical knowledge. If the capacitor has in fact let go, it is very unlikely that it will retain any charge, HOWEVER, it's always better to be safe than sorry, and you should discharge it. To do this, disconnect the capacitor's leads (wires) and use a tool with an insulated handle (I like a screwdriver) to directly both of the capictor's terminals together (short them out). If there is only one terminal, than connect that to the metal case of the capacitor.

They aren't continuous - they are strobe, and they were really expensive! Hubby is off tomorrow - we're going to very very carefully take a look at it then :) Thank you for your words of caution!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back