Rules?

shed301

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen numerous people refer to the *rules* in a lot of post's, So I've set myself a mission to find these rules, I've done the search on *rules* on threads and post's and nothing's come up actually referring to a actual set of rules/guidelines on how to conduct yourself on this forum..I know that most of it will be put down to your own common sense and the like, But the closest thing I've seen to rules is *the pact* which manaheim has kindly typed out in detail. But is it an official set of rules/guidelines to go by or just a random thing that you can decide to join up with or not?. confusing?.. well for new people it would be. I've been around a few different forums that have a informative set of rules as a sticky topic and everyone can see them upon entering, When questioned by another person you can just refer them to the top of the page. I know we have a ignore button that gets used regulary for some. Just a couple of thought's and maybe you guys also have some ideas thoughts as well?

cheers

oh if there is a set of rules that i couldn't find can someone give me directions :)

No rules here (at least that I know of :lol:), just be your human self and let people know what you think. If a picture sucks it sucks. If its great its great. Maybe you saw someone say soemthing about the rule of thirds? ;)

No spam!

Maybe you saw someone say soemthing about the rule of thirds? ;)

No spam!

actually it was the star trails thread that got me thinking bout it...:lol:

Note: you wouldn't believe how stupid i actually am... mainly because i put this is the wrong place and since it's been moved.. guess what i found in a great big fat sticky !.. GUIDELINES ON HOW TO POST!!!..

Last edited:
Maybe you saw someone say soemthing about the rule of thirds? ;)

No spam!

actually it was the star trails thread that got me thinking bout it...:lol:

Note: you wouldn't believe how stupid i actually am... mainly because i put this is the wrong place and since it's been moved.. guess what i found in a great big fat sticky !.. GUIDELINES ON HOW TO POST!!!..
:lmao:
How to post... had to read that one over quite a few times - couldn't figure it out. :lol:

Every day you learn somethin new...

Hmm they really are hidden these days. I used to remember they were a big sticky at some point when I first joined.

But really the rules are simple:
- Use common and courteous sense like on every other forum.
- Any image that is NOT yours even if you have permission must be linked to and not embedded.
- Think about where your post goes, each sub forum has a description.
- No political debates.

In photogs, there are really no rules. It is an art and thus if CREATOR likes it then IT IS GOOD. If you're selling your art then you have to adjust to your buyer.
The so called rules are really suggestions that will improve in image either in terms of what it portraits or in terms of its quality.

In simple, if I show you a portraits of profile and it is lighted accordingly and YOU HATE it b/c you feel that a profile image should maintain flat lighting, then you'll hate my work and my rules of shooting will no accepted by you.

good luck

In photogs, there are really no rules. It is an art and thus if CREATOR likes it then IT IS GOOD. If you're selling your art then you have to adjust to your buyer.
The so called rules are really suggestions that will improve in image either in terms of what it portraits or in terms of its quality.

In simple, if I show you a portraits of profile and it is lighted accordingly and YOU HATE it b/c you feel that a profile image should maintain flat lighting, then you'll hate my work and my rules of shooting will no accepted by you.

good luck

ok this has me completely dumbfounded, not sure how to approach this one.lol

Over the last several hundred years it has become clear that there are some artistic elements/techniques that are more appealing than others.

These have come to be called "rules", though 'guidelines' is a better term.

Take the Rule of Thirds. It is a commonly used compositional technique. But there are other, equally pleasant, similar rules/guidelines like the Golden Spiral, Golden Triangles, and the Golden Section.

The main point to understand is that by first learning and understanding the accepted guidelines you can then deviate from them for reasons based in your own artistic interpretation rather than randomness.

From the OP, emphasis mine:
nothing's come up actually referring to a actual set of rules/guidelines on how to conduct yourself on this forum

Mike's answered this. Others have chimed in showing that they never read any farther than the title of the post.

Reading.

Comprehension.

Fail.

good luck

ok this has me completely dumbfounded, not sure how to approach this one.lol

Over the last several hundred years it has become clear that there are some artistic elements/techniques that are more appealing than others.

These have come to be called "rules", though 'guidelines' is a better term.

Take the Rule of Thirds. It is a commonly used compositional technique. But there are other, equally pleasant, similar rules/guidelines like the Golden Spiral, Golden Triangles, and the Golden Section.

The main point to understand is that by first learning and understanding the accepted guidelines you can then deviate from them for reasons based in your own artistic interpretation rather than randomness.

From the OP, emphasis mine:
nothing's come up actually referring to a actual set of rules/guidelines on how to conduct yourself on this forum

Mike's answered this. Others have chimed in showing that they never read any farther than the title of the post.

Reading.

Comprehension.

Fail.
Up to a point.

Like a lot of threads, this one has evolved somewhat from the initial premise, though that evolution has been a direct result of the issue you bring to light. ;)

Rufus this hasn't been a dig at you, actually far from it. i think your bit in that post was the inspiration for this thread. i just wasn't sure if there was/were or had been a set of rules in place.. and now that Mike has directed me to the answer i was requiring. thanks guys

Last edited:
I don't take anything here in this thread as a dig at me, in fact, I was digging at someone else. The 'rules of photography' comes up soooo often that when people see 'rules' they just immediately assume that the topic is the 'rules of photography' and then go off on a half-uninformed answer of 'it's art, man, there aaaare no ruuuules!'

I was more just pointing out the absurdity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back