Sadie In The Sun

@smoke665 Sadie looks great...the lighting looks very natural/soft...nice!

Thanks all. With a shutter speed of 1/2500, there wasn't much ambient coming through, requiring some creative color grading post. Learned a few things from this, for next time.

Perhaps just a tad more aperture to get the nose in sharp focus as well but overall, nice puppy portrait.

Really nice image
As a dog owner that is the sort of image I would put on the wall

@bulldurham Thanks for commenting. The shot was mostly about learning to use HSS to be able to shoot at a wider aperture to blur the background, kill the ambient and stop action with the fast shutter (1/2500) and bring in light on the face with flash. I would agree that more DOF would be in order for a portrait, either by stopping down or better, using a longer focal length and increasing the distance to the subject.

@Original katomi Thank you!

I haven't done any flash, save studio lighting in many many years so am not familiar with that technique.

I did some research on it and while it is an interesting technique, I am far too long in the tooth to learn a new shooting technique that I would rarely, if ever use....you though are on to a good technique and I wish you the best in your endeavors.

I am far too long in the tooth to learn a new shooting technique that I would rarely, if ever us

The calendar says I'm 70, the brain says I'm still 20, my body says are you out of your $%_<*&% mind? Learning/doing new things keeps the mind strong, even if the body has a few questionable parts.

I'm 74 and I do learn lots of new things every day, just not going to run out and buy any flash units to learn that new trick...I spend my time learning more editing tricks.

Such a beauty

Most reactions

Back