Sahlens Six Hours at The Glen

TheRival

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first time with a DSLR or any digital camera for that matter so be nice! all criticism is welcome though as i am really trying to learn...

2562201623_276de84b3e.jpg

2562204707_6fb198e270.jpg

2563029104_8c8c4607ca.jpg

2562200629_06e03c702d.jpg

2563033056_3d985e838c.jpg

2562206149_5e86dc1944.jpg

2562210665_e08c503794.jpg

2562211337_bae36687a4.jpg

2566067728_b7679b432d.jpg

2566066270_2d0ee8ca74.jpg

2565240353_9e54eb037f.jpg

Nice try, quite good for a beginner. Just try to clean up the composition in the images. Avoid things in the way of the subject and clean up the background. Also, do some more thinking about the composition - do not cut off the subject and avoid showing random junk by cropping it out.

Nice try, quite good for a beginner. Just try to clean up the composition in the images. Avoid things in the way of the subject and clean up the background. Also, do some more thinking about the composition - do not cut off the subject and avoid showing random junk by cropping it out.

I will take that as a compliment, now could you explain for me, cleaning up composition, and how do i "clean up the background"

these are all unedited minus cropping some random stuff out!

When I said "clean up the background", I meant positioning yourself in a place where there aren't too many things in the background. That way, the subject is emphasized and the other things aren't there to distract the viewer. Sometimes, that is not possible but I try to do it whenever possible.

The other way to clean up the background is to use a telephoto lens like a 70-300mm that has a shallow depth of field so only the subject is in focus and the rest is blurred.

The final way to clean up the background is to crop the image and only include the subject and crop out the rest. This is the only easy way of cleaning up the image after it has already been taken. I generally avoid doing this because it gives less resolution than changing the lens's focal length when taking the shot.

Thanks for the advice...

My next purchase...possibly tomorrow is a Nikkor 55-200mm lens. so hopefully that will help but at the race track the oppurtunity for little distractions are few and far between but i am sure having the "eye" for it would help a lot more!

Look for more pics from me! thanks for the advice!

I'd say you did quite well! Even the composition! Very nice work even if it wasn't your first time with a digital camera. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I agree with Mav 150%.

My opinion is something is either good or its not good. This is good for anyone. I'm jealous that you were able to see all those cool cars too.

I'd say you did quite well! Even the composition! Very nice work even if it wasn't your first time with a digital camera. :thumbup: :thumbup:

ok ok...so you got me... i used to have a kodak 3.2mp refurbished point and shoot!!! lol... in all honesty i did alot of reading and research on camera's. The better you understand the tools you have the easier it is for you to use them correctly, right?

but yes, this really is my first time with a DSLR or any camera worth mentioning.

The cars were great and i will be back at the Glen on the 4th of July for the indy car series. look for more pics especially with my new lens!

:mrgreen: thanks guys! gives me a lot of encouragement to keep shooting and keep posting.

Most reactions

Back