Sailboats on Lake Michigan

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my first picture (with many to come) from my trip to Chicago this past weekend. These are some sailboats on Lake Michigan near the Chicago Yacht Club. Some storm clouds began to drift into the area, but thankfully only a light sprinkle. Thanks for looking

DSC_0039copy.jpg

I'll comment since I feel your pain on posting some photos and tons of people looking and no one commenting :)

I love the composition. It's really simple, yet there's a lot going on. The angle of the clouds definitely gives that "rolling in" feel. The sun light straining to shine through in the center coupled with the vignetting adds a slightly ominous feel to the impending storm, especially with all of the small boats waiting to get tossed around by the storm.

And if you're interested.. the photos I posted:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/167564-b-w-photo-shoot.html

Nice Composure, but the BW doesn't do much for me. Theres too much of a grayscale to it that it doesn't make anything pop for me. Had there been a ray of sunshine that broke through the clouds or something maybe it would help. I don't know how you converted to B&W but maybe the adjustment of various colors could have helped. I dunno. Maybe if the composition was a bit cropped and tighter like the attached? <-- Just trying to throw some ideas out there. I just like to see the vast range of blackness and whiteness you know? This picture is just to Bla gray for me.

Attachments

• $DSC_0039copyme edit.jpg
    $DSC_0039copyme edit.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 79
Just thought of another idea...What if at this same zoom/crop, but there was only like 1 or 2 sailboats to show the loneliness and the calm before the storm?

I'll comment since I feel your pain on posting some photos and tons of people looking and no one commenting :)

I love the composition. It's really simple, yet there's a lot going on. The angle of the clouds definitely gives that "rolling in" feel. The sun light straining to shine through in the center coupled with the vignetting adds a slightly ominous feel to the impending storm, especially with all of the small boats waiting to get tossed around by the storm.

And if you're interested.. the photos I posted:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/167564-b-w-photo-shoot.html

Thank you so much DSPhotography! I appreciate the comment. I noticed that you are in Augusta GA. I almost decided to move there this fall to attend Med College of GA, but ended up getting an offer to go to another grad school. What i saw of downtown Augusta seemed like an interesting place to shoot street shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back