Salvageable with conversion?

I too came up with something similar to Deeky's PP but in the end, there's not much to do to make the color look good. the B&W's work okay but you're still stuck with the color cast problem even in the monochromatic range. Corel is so limited in its ability to deal with hard core color casts, almost as impotent as Gimp. Short of making the best B&W conversion and then hand coloring that image, not much is going to happen in these images.

Limr...it's hard to tell, but are you standing by a flat bed print roller? Are you also a printmaker? (My second love.)

I too came up with something similar to Deeky's PP but in the end, there's not much to do to make the color look good. the B&W's work okay but you're still stuck with the color cast problem even in the monochromatic range. Corel is so limited in its ability to deal with hard core color casts, almost as impotent as Gimp. Short of making the best B&W conversion and then hand coloring that image, not much is going to happen in these images.

Okay, so it's not just my inferior PP skills (or software). If you can't do anything even with your mad skillz, then I'll stop banging my head against the wall. Or the computer, as this case may be ;)

Limr...it's hard to tell, but are you standing by a flat bed print roller? Are you also a printmaker? (My second love.)

In my avatar, right? To be honest, I'm not sure what that object is. It's at my boyfriend's parents' house. His father is Slovenian and has a lot of oddball things he's collected over the years, so I'm sure it has something to do with Eastern Europe! I'll ask him tomorrow.

I am not a printmaker, but it's totally something I would do. It seems so satisfying in a tactile and creative way. In fact, it's given me an interesting idea that I now can't wait to try. I am doing a lot of Poloroid work with Fuji pack film and now I want to try emulsion transfers and/or lifts onto cloth. Ooh, getting more excited about it the more I think about it :)

Thanks for trying, deeky, ceeboy, and amolitar!

I'll still probably play with them a little more from time to time, if nothing else than to force myself to learn more about editing.

I think too the B&W is the best you can do to salvage the first one, too much blue sky and water that turned all greenish - removing the color seems the best thing to do with it. Or to it.

I actually kind of like the second one, with the yellow sky and magenta buoys; I think because the photo is predominantly just the two colors and they're fairly vibrant, it works. I like that one in B&W too, it has that almost borderline infrared look to it that you can get sometimes with B&W film with a red filter. That one might be the happy accident of the pair.

Edit - And now that I see the other photos, removing the color seems to be the way to go with them.

Interesting ceeboy that you bring up printmaking, I just bought supplies for an online continuing ed class thru a local university that I'm going to take. I remember doing that sometime somewhere in art classes and thought it'd be fun to do again. (You might have to start another thread on printmaking!)

And I got an emulsion kit, been saving some of my duds to practice on!

Last edited:

Okay, so it's not just my inferior PP skills (or software). If you can't do anything even with your mad skillz, then I'll stop banging my head against the wall. Or the computer, as this case may be ;)

In my avatar, right? To be honest, I'm not sure what that object is. It's at my boyfriend's parents' house. His father is Slovenian and has a lot of oddball things he's collected over the years, so I'm sure it has something to do with Eastern Europe! I'll ask him tomorrow.

I am not a printmaker, but it's totally something I would do. It seems so satisfying in a tactile and creative way. In fact, it's given me an interesting idea that I now can't wait to try. I am doing a lot of Poloroid work with Fuji pack film and now I want to try emulsion transfers and/or lifts onto cloth. Ooh, getting more excited about it the more I think about it :)

I'll have to hunt about but I have a great book on Polaroid transfers my students used (to great success) and if I can find it, will send it to you. Good Stuff!

Leonore, I don't know about the conversions but I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know how much I enjoyed your blog. Nice stuff.

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'll have to hunt about but I have a great book on Polaroid transfers my students used (to great success) and if I can find it, will send it to you. Good Stuff!

And thank you also just as much! I mostly use the Fuji, which has a slightly different emulsion from the Poloroids, but there are still enough similarities to make the procedures similar, just tweaked. I've gotten a few packs of expired Poloroid film but three out of the four packs I bought were too dry. The other pack wasn't dry yet, but had lost enough viscosity that it wouldn't spread properly and I ended up with Rorschach blobs :) They were probably too old (expired in the 80s) and stored improperly. I did, however, get the last pack of a batch of 108 expired in 2007 from the Film Photography Project (at least I trust they knew enough to keep it in cold storage!) I'm hoping to find a few more packs of usable Poloroid emulsion, but they are rare and expensive, so the book will surely help me make the most of my chances at the original emulsion.

Most reactions

Back