Same glass? Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L USM as the IS?

photojunky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinephotogallery.com
I am going to break down and spend some money on a new lens. My question is, will image quality be the same with the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L USM without the IS (image stabilizer) as it would be with the IS. Is it the same glass? The price difference is huge.

Probably. As long as you are not comparing handheld shot at 1/30 sec or slower.

IS really comes in handy when you do panning shots. If you just want to stop motion with fast shutter or tripod shots, non IS will be good. Probably a lot lighter too.

The IS helps a lot when shooting moving subjects and hand held even at low light situation or at 1/50 shutter speed. I always use it as my walk around lens for candid street shots. I have friends who bought the USM then upgraded to the IS USM after a month of use. Go for the IS USM. You'll love it.

Not the same at all: the older non-IS lens is optically inferior. The new f/4 IS model is optically outstanding, the older lens much less so.

Not the same at all: the older non-IS lens is optically inferior. The new f/4 IS model is optically outstanding, the older lens much less so.

Plus 1. The F4-IS is supposed to be the second sharpest Canon zoom lens of any length. First being the 2.8-IS Mark II.

Plus 1. The F4-IS is supposed to be the second sharpest Canon zoom lens of any length. First being the 2.8-IS Mark II.

For zoom glasses, I agree with you, bentcountershaft. the f/4 is end best....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back