What's new

Sand and Seaweed

BlackSheep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
230
Location
Woodbridge, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haven't posted much lately, so I thought I would put up one I've taken recently that I like:

SandSeaweed.jpg
 
Nice!

Perhaps just a bit less tint?
 
I always like the beauty of such minimalistic works... actually i realize the power of photography through such images :D
 
Good shot...can I edit it??? :):)
 
Nice!

Perhaps just a bit less tint?

Thanks Ken!
Not sure about the tint, I didn't do any editing on this one at all (except converting to jpeg). It was shot in Bermuda, though; the sand there has an odd colour to it.
 
I love it except for the shadow around the bigger seaweed. I think it would be better if that whole patch of seaweed disappeared.
 
Dont care much for the seawead but I love the shape of the sand ripples!
 
I have no idea why, but it feels like it needs to be tilted about 4 degrees to the right to me for some reason. There's no obvious spatial cues, but it just feels 'tilted' to me for some reason, and I can't even say why.
 
Thanks for your comments everyone!

Nope, it's not tilted. I might try it though, thanks!

Actually, I did shoot a few images without the seaweed, too. Here's one:

1DSC02344.jpg
 
Last edited:
looking over it some more, I think it was literally the visual weight of the seaweed that made it feel tilted to me. Since the seaweed is offset, with nothing to balance it on the right, it actually made it look like it was tilted to me, and obviously it couldn't be tilted, since it was the ground in reality.

I think if you have the seaweed in the bottom left, you almost need some sort of like tiny shell on the right side for proper compositional balance.
 
I liked the original but I like the second image even better. Very zen.
 
Yes; the sand-only image is also wonderful; by the way how can we decide whether a tilt is there or not when we shoot this way? What frame of reference do you have? :scratch:
 
looking over it some more, I think it was literally the visual weight of the seaweed that made it feel tilted to me. Since the seaweed is offset, with nothing to balance it on the right, it actually made it look like it was tilted to me, and obviously it couldn't be tilted, since it was the ground in reality.

I think if you have the seaweed in the bottom left, you almost need some sort of like tiny shell on the right side for proper compositional balance.

Good point, I see what you mean. Thank you again for the feedback :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom