Sand grains macro photo tutorial

sandatlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It is my first post here in TPF. I am a geology student and a hobby photographer of geological materials, especially sand samples. I wrote an illustrated article that summarizes my experience with sand macro photos. I still consider myself to be a beginner but I believe other beginners may have few things to learn from that article: How to take good macro photos.

It is my first post here in TPF. I am a geology student and a hobby photographer of geological materials, especially sand samples. I wrote an illustrated article that summarizes my experience with sand macro photos. I still consider myself to be a beginner but I believe other beginners may have few things to learn from that article: How to take good macro photos.

I would change the title of the site in your link to "how to take good macro of sand". Many of the things you say either do not apply, or may not be needed for other areas of macro. I know a few who may do it, but most bug shooters do not use a tripod, remote release, mirror lock, or tethered with a CPU.

Also suggesting that all macros should be done on a flat planar surface just gives no room for imagination.

You may want to add a wrning about diffraction in the aperture paragraph. Diffraction may set in, depending on lens used, at f8 or smaller.

Good lighting is a must, just like any other photograph. Your lighting paragraph is lacking any info on strobes, maybe you are not familar with them yet. Strobes may or may not be essential to most insect photographers, I'd lean towards very essential.

Good start. keep at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back