Santa Photos -- Should I be the photographer or should I pass?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Normally, my neighborhood hires a "pro" to do our Breakfast with Santa where the photographer takes images of kids with SC near the tree and the HOA provides refreshments. It's a nice event.

The Chair of the Social Committee has asked if I'd like to do the photos this year because she knows I am a hobbyist. I have several umbrellas, stands, etc., but no soft boxes. I shoot with a D90 and my "best" lens for this type of work is probably my 50mm 1.8. I also have the Tokina 100mm 2.8 but the focal length will not work indoors. My widest lens is the 18-200 but it's pretty slow.

Most of the pros in years past have their own website and sell images on a "per print" basis.

I have a Flickr account, and accounts at various other websites like Snapfish, etc.

Am I unprepared for this type of work? I took X-mas photos last year for free of some neighborhood friends at their request. Those photos can be seen here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/266204-first-pro-shoot-today.html

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

It could be a bit of fun and experience. If you want to get paid it is different but if its just on a good deed basis your gear is more than good enough

Thanks, and agreed.

Anybody else? 111 views and 1 reply?

I say yes. Do it. You'll be fine. And remember, this is the internet so if things go awry you can't come back and blame me. :cheers:

In my experience, doing this kind of thing initially seems like fun, but then quickly turns into gruelling and irksome work where people start insisting that you do things certain ways, and frequently in ways that go against your training and experience. People almost always underestimate the value that a trained photographer brings to the table... after all... "it's just a camera... anyone can point it at the kids and press the button." At least when you're getting paid to get knocked around, it's tolerable because you're getting paid. It's really irksome when you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart.

I know that sounds HORRIBLE, but I'm being honest and telling you what I've experienced from doing a couple things on a volunteer basis.

For fun? Don't see why not. I'd think what you have can handle it. The posing and such won't be super complicated, since you're just doing the same thing over and over and your gear sounds fine.

yeah do it. You get in good with the neighbors and the HOA. Win win imo. And how much work could it be for just your neighborhood?

Setup your umbrellas equidistant camera left and right for flat, but nicely lit subjects. Shadows in this instance may not be your friend. If you have a third light, set it behind Santa, facing the camera, to add some separation from the background. I would try an aperature at f/8 for starters and tweak from there, but not wider than f/5.6.

Use a tripod. That way your clients know this is where they will sit.

Have a few clean jokes in your back pocket to break the tension.

At this point, I don't see anything wrong with setting up a gallery on your Flickr account for the event so your neighbors can preview.

You can do this. I'd set one light up at about a 35-40 degree angle camera right, aimed downward, and put the fill light RIGHT to the left of the camera and pointed STRAIGHT AHEAD, and right AT camera height. Set the main light at FULL power, and the fill at half of that, equal distances to the sitter. If you want, set the main to 1/2 power, and the fill to 1/4 power, and use a higher ISO value, like 320 or 400. THis makes the flash LESS bright, so batteries last longer and subjects feel less blasted by flash, and it speeds recycling time.

The biggest issue in doing this kind of work? YOU MUST BE IN CONTROL of the shoot. If a particular kid will not smile very well, tough luck...if the line gets too long, ONE whiny kid or one bossy parent or grandparent in need of "the perfect smile" will RUIN the mood of many others to follow. THIS is exactly the kind of thing one learns working at a high-volume type of studio, or doing event pics...YOU decide when the set is over, and you do it by "dismissing" one subject and ushering the next one into the shooting area. You MUST stay in total control; if a kid balks, or cries, or disrupts, you must know how to handle it...tell the mom to pull the kid, and walk around the block. Have some SUCKERS for the bratty ones. If a kid freaks, be READY with a trinket that will get him/her to STHU, STAT.

"Group management"...keep the line moving...praise each kid's 'smile'...if a kid is difficult STILL PRAISE HIS EXPRESSION as you trip off each frame...that lets the mom/grandma know that YOU are satisfied,and paves the way for you to dismiss them. Dads/grandpas don't usually give a rat's patootie about "the perfect smile"...but man......the moms and grandmas, 1,2,3,4,5 of them WILL, and they will make your day a living Christmas Photo Hades if you do not stay in control. Special outfits, hair coiffing, etc--some of these women have spent big bucks for a cheap X-mas portrait of the grandkids...there are parents/grammies who expect private session treatment at a group shoot like this. So...you've been warned.

I think this sounds like fun but I worry about liability. People sue over the dumbest stuff. Not so much taking a bad photo but lets say gramms backs into your tripod and falls will the HOA cover you if she sues. I would also worry about my gear kids running about and all. So for me to do this I would have to look into the Liability and if that is squared I would call my home owners INS and make sure my gear is covered as this is a 'job like event" and Ins companies are.... we all know what they are.

I think there is no harm in giving it a try. It will be a nice experience for you. As you have described, it is clear that you have good experience in photography so I think you are ready for the task. Good Luck :)

In my experience, doing this kind of thing initially seems like fun, but then quickly turns into gruelling and irksome work where people start insisting that you do things certain ways, and frequently in ways that go against your training and experience. People almost always underestimate the value that a trained photographer brings to the table... after all... "it's just a camera... anyone can point it at the kids and press the button." At least when you're getting paid to get knocked around, it's tolerable because you're getting paid. It's really irksome when you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart.

I know that sounds HORRIBLE, but I'm being honest and telling you what I've experienced from doing a couple things on a volunteer basis.
One of my regular charity events is a Pets with Santa shoot I do every year for a local animal shelter; two 12 hour days of shooting, followed by 2-4 days of processing. It's a grind, but other than the odd "arm-chair pro" I've never had any serious issues, and nothing that canpt be put right with a simple "I'm the guy with the camera, it's my way or the highway!" statement.

What I've found is that the people really do appreciate and enjoy the images. There are usually at least six different Pets with Santa shoots in our city, and ours has now become the one that people want to go to! You will be nervous the first time, and spend the entire night before going, "Well if I put this here..." and the whole day going "Please shutter don't crap out now" and similar things... but I think you can do it, and I know it will be worth it, AND if you do in subsequent years, it'll be even better.

Good tips above. Go for it!

Nobody mentioned it, (unless I missed it) but if you can, get an assistant. Not to take pics, but to handle the crowd, take names down and such. Lets you concentrate on the photo taking. You see this in most mall setups. (They typically dress as elves.)

Most reactions

Back