Saturday High School Football just like the old days

colors are throwing me off...

Yes I agree colors are off from shooting into the sun. I thought of going with B&W but ended up with color because the parents and kids liked the “bright colors “

Nice set Snowy. I probably would have left #4 and 5 out, but that's just me.

Daytime football is nice.

Thanks. funny you mention those pictures. The parents of the #5 picture loved it and #4 got a lot of comment from the players on the blue team

I get that. I sell more of those type images than I do the ones that I would put in my portfolio or share online.

Nice set Snowy. I probably would have left #4 and 5 out, but that's just me.

Daytime football is nice.

Thanks. funny you mention those pictures. The parents of the #5 picture loved it and #4 got a lot of comment from the players on the blue team

I get that. I sell more of those type images than I do the ones that I would put in my portfolio or share online.

When I post pictures for the AD and coaches, I have to be aware of that also.
I try to get pics of all the players, especially the lower ranked players, who normally don't get to play. And when I post for the AD and coaches, I try to get as many players as I can. It is way too easy to concentrate on the "stars," especially in football.
That way, at the end of the season, there are at least a few pictures of ALL the players (I hope) for the parents.

As with you, I am not happy with some of the pictures, but parents emotion and art don't often match.
They may LOVE, a shot that I technically don't care for.

That has been the hardest thing I have had to deal with this year. I have been shooting for Maxpreps and I really have to me much more selective with my photos. I still post a few more on my site that fall into this category but not many.

One thing that I learned is . . . shooting individuals is a different mindset and equipment need.

In football, I used to concentrate on the QB, running backs, and receivers, because that is where the ball was. The line was ignored, because that was not where the ball was. Now I am "trying" to shoot more shots of the line, in both offense and defense, to get "the other players." As with you, this mental shift has been difficult to do.

In team games, like football and volleyball, more than half my shots are multi-player plays, not individual shots.

For football, when I shoot a play, I use a 70-200. If I were shooting individuals, I would be using a 300 or 400 (IF I had the $$$$$ for a long f/2.8 lens), to pick them out. The 70-200 does not have enough magnification to do that. So, many times, I have to deep crop into my 70-200 frame to get the individual players. Luckily the 70-200 has good enough IQ that usually a deep crop is possible, without loosing much visible IQ.

In volleyball, I use a 35 or 50 on my DX camera. I used to wonder about parents who brought a 70-200 lenses to a volleyball game :confused: But then I realized that if they are only shooting their kid, an individual shot vs. a play shot, the tight viewing angle made sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back