Saving up for either a d5000, d3100 or a d90

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I realize that a good photographer will use the camera he/she has with him/her but sometimes the camera doesn't allow for certain experiments. I would like to do some bracketing, wildlife photography from afar (so as not to scare away whatever I take a photo of and still get that up close look) et cetera

I had my first taste of it when the office I work in bought an Olympus E-520 but now do not get to use it as the person who runs the program that paid for the camera uses it exclusively.

My current camera does not allow for it yet...perhaps there's a firmware upgrade or something for the AS3000IS [edit: there are NO firmware upgrades for this model].

Also, since I want to make short films, I'm going to want some video capability.

I realize the "jello-effect" is prominent on these cameras due to the CMOS sensor which scans line by line as opposed to a CCD which scans a frame at a time. Since I don't have $4000 for that XL2 I want, I'm going to have to stay away from whip-panning and fast car scenes. One of these camera should suffice for my purposes.

The only problem is what really is the difference between the three besides cost?

BTW:
Am I the only one in the world taking photos with this camera or something? I go to google to search for photos taken with the AS3000IS and the first search record is the thread I started here asking if anyone else uses this camera. Try it out: go to google and search for "AS3000IS photos"

Last edited:
Check out the reviews of these cameras at http://www.bythom.com

He has not reviewed the 3100 yet, but did discuss it recently. He knows Nikon gear pretty well.

HTH

The D5000 and D90 share the same sensor but the D90 has a brighter viewfinder and has a auto focus motor in the body. I could be wrong but I think the D90 uses thumbwheels to change it's settings where the D5000 is menu driven. It's LCD display is a higher resolution as well. The D90 is a little larger as well.

The D3100 is new and it has been mentioned on the forum that the D90 is getting an update as well. It's just my opinion but it might be worthwhile to wait and see what is happening to the camera lineup ... you might be able to get a "better" camera with the new ones coming out or you might be able to get a bargain on an older camera body.

Something to check out if you do decide on Nikon is they sometimes run specials on their 70-300 lens if you purchase it with a camera (assuming you purchase a new camera). Just make sure you're buying the VR version (they have 2 versions) as it has had good witeups vs the non VR. I bought the D90 kit and saved $200 on the 70 - 300, I wasn't planning on buying it at that point but I'm glad I did.

My advice right now would be wait. With the introduction of the D3100 and given the specs it now seems difficult to see where the D5000 lies in the nikon range. Apart from the adjustable display and the slightly higher frame rate it appears that the D3100 trumps the D5000 in almost every department in terms of whats on paper.

The D90 on the other hand is now 2 years old and the expectation is that this camera is not long for this world. While it is a very nice camera, the D3100 also betters a number of the D90's specifications which in all probability means an announcement soon regarding a replacement for the D90.

The D5000 and D90 share the same sensor (but have different AA filters in front of the sensor.) but the D90 has a brighter viewfinder and has a auto focus motor in the body. I could be wrong but I think the D90 uses thumbwheels to change it's settings where the D5000 is menu driven. (the D3100/D5000 has a single thumbwheel for changing both shutter speed, aperture and other values. Aperture is changed using the wheel while a button near the shutter release is held down. The D90 has 2 wheels, in front for aperture, and on the back for shutter speed) It's LCD display is a higher resolution as well. The D90 is a little larger as well.

The D3100 is new and it has been mentioned on the forum that the D90 is getting an update as well........
Though the D3100 is new, as far as I know, no one has yet tested it, so it's an unknown quantity.

The D90 update is still just a rumor at this time, though the timing is about all that is uncertain.

As far as the body having an auto focus motor or not: The lenses that require the body have a focus motor are AF designated, not AF-S, and are generally semi-pro level FX lenses, costing quite a bit more than the entry-level, DX, AF-S lenses. There are a couple of exceptions, like the AF 50 mm f/1.8D, but only a couple.

I have these 2 AF lenses and you can see, they are not inexpensive:

Last edited:
Well, apparently 2011 is the year for everything, so I guess I will be saving money until then...hopefully...I am actually bad at saving money usually...but I really want another camera and so, since I saved up for the two guitars I own (Switch Stealth Innovo and BC Rich Warlock Acrylic), I should be able to motivate myself enough to save for a new camera...

I would just wait for the D3100 and D90 replacement. How is your budget? By the time D90 replacement, if you're dedicated you would be saving enough money for it and it'll be worth your while. If not if the D3100 does what we expect from it on paper, then D3100 would be a great buy at $700 for the starter kit. One of the biggest draw to the D3100 is full HD and auto focus video mode which is a big plus because manual is a pain in the A. Since your goal is photo and video, I think waiting is the best plan. I've seen video of people shooting with the D5000, 720 and manual focus and the video is really nice already. I know waiting is hard, I'm very impatient too but I think this time waiting would be a lot better in your situation. Good luck.

My budget is whatever I put into it...I only need to pay for rent (which includes all the utilities), food, and that's about it...I have a tobacco habit (which isn't all that expensive the way I smoke...and a different habit...but that could be cut off temporarily...given time, I could save up for a D3X...but I won't, I'd rather get a D3100 and a Canon XL2

My budget is whatever I put into it...I only need to pay for rent (which includes all the utilities), food, and that's about it...I have a tobacco habit (which isn't all that expensive the way I smoke...and a different habit...but that could be cut off temporarily...given time, I could save up for a D3X...but I won't, I'd rather get a D3100 and a Canon XL2

The Canon XL2 is awesome. A really good camcorder is my next big purchase because filming is my passion before photography. After I mess around with the setting on my D90 to shoot something and edit and will post to share. :thumbup:

I can't wait to see your work, that'll be loads of fun...let us know if you get something done...I'd be interested in seeing the look of the D90...just don't move it around quickly...unless you LIKE jello

The D5000 and D90 share the same sensor (but have different AA filters in front of the sensor.) but the D90 has a brighter viewfinder and has a auto focus motor in the body. I could be wrong but I think the D90 uses thumbwheels to change it's settings where the D5000 is menu driven. (the D3100/D5000 has a single thumbwheel for changing both shutter speed, aperture and other values. Aperture is changed using the wheel while a button near the shutter release is held down. The D90 has 2 wheels, in front for aperture, and on the back for shutter speed) It's LCD display is a higher resolution as well. The D90 is a little larger as well.

The D3100 is new and it has been mentioned on the forum that the D90 is getting an update as well........
Though the D3100 is new, as far as I know, no one has yet tested it, so it's an unknown quantity.

The D90 update is still just a rumor at this time, though the timing is about all that is uncertain.

As far as the body having an auto focus motor or not: The lenses that require the body have a focus motor are AF designated, not AF-S, and are generally semi-pro level FX lenses, costing quite a bit more than the entry-level, DX, AF-S lenses. There are a couple of exceptions, like the AF 50 mm f/1.8D, but only a couple.

I have these 2 AF lenses and you can see, they are not inexpensive:

I thought they had announced that the d90 replacement was going to be called the d7000 and they were going to start like officially advertising it in like September or something not selling it but like previews for it... I'm probably wrong though..... ;)

The D90 replacement will most likely be announced in September at Photokiana 2011.
and available by Oct.-Dec.? time frame with a bit of luck. But again it is all speculation and just guessing and wishful thinking at this point.

Most reactions

Back