Saving

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I save in photoshop elements I noticed that there are format options and image options, I havent paid any attention to this in the past, but could anyone shed any light on what the different options mean so I can decide if I should be using them
screen shot of how i normally save:
Savingoption.jpg

The format options are just different ways of storing and compressing the data. Since JPG is lossy they can impact relative image quality but I think it's so nominal it's usually not worth trying everything to see. They do however impact the file size and the difference can be considerable. Baseline Optimized will generally produce smaller files than Baseline Standard and Progressive will typically be smaller yet. But it depends on the image quite allot. Sometimes Progressive can actually be slightly larger. I put mine on Progressive 5 scan (usually) and just forget about it.

The Preview and Quality slider are the important bits here. Move the option box out of the way, make sure Preview is checked as you have it there and then adjust the slider until you're satisfied with the compression noise that results. At 12 JPeg I believe becomes lossless. Every image will be different. Sometimes a setting of 10 is overkill and sometimes it's not enough. Some images can compress way down to 3 or 4 without much noticeable difference - it just depends on the image and the kind of detail it contains. So, for each image you should probably move that Quality slider around and see if you can get it smaller without causing any adverse affects - or if 10 is indeed going to be good enough.

Is that what you wanted to know or were you looking for a more technical explanation?

Cute kitties BTW! :hug::

Since JPG is lossless they can impact relative image quality but I think it's so nominal it's usually not worth trying everything to see.

I think you know this is a typo, but JPG is LOSSY not LOSSLESS. There are generational losses of details and data when a JPG file is saved over and over. This is not something that happens with true lossless files like RAW and TIFF.

Yes. Thank you! That's a terrible type-o and could really cause some confusion! Good catch.

Sorry!

Corrected. Also, good addition about generational loss. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back