Sazeray - my local town

RobN185

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sazeray, my nearest "town" - no shops, no bar, just a primary school, a church and a town hall.

6223321120_b7e27b6f50_z.jpg

Thank you, I was not sure if I had cropped too tight, or whether it really suited a square format.

While I like the picture a lot, it is calm and soozing, I do think that the image as posted is oversharpened.
Virtually every straight line has a sharpening halo.

While I like the picture a lot, it is calm and soozing, I do think that the image as posted is oversharpened.
Virtually every straight line has a sharpening halo.

Thanks, but I beg to differ - here is a large version for you to analyse. :wink:

6223321120_5024ed636f_o.jpg

I might take a smidge off the bottom but I like it.

No bars...and you survive, how?

this is the original post with arrows indicating the white lines on the light side and dark halos on the dark side.

$3-11-2013 7-42-31 PMhalo.jpg

The composition is very nice! An interesting scene for sure. When any of our small towns lose the school, folks assume that to be the death knell.

In reality, most towns seem to hang on for many more years, subsisting on primarily service enterprises and the proximity to another town.

this is the original post with arrows indicating the white lines on the light side and dark halos on the dark side.

View attachment 38515

Thanks for the in-depth analysis Lew - I get it now.
These are both exactly the same image on Flickr, the first one is shown at 640 x 640 and the larger one at 1024 x 1024.

Here are the links to the sizes on Flickr - and yes the low-res image shows halos as you would expect.

#1. 640x640 All sizes | Sazeray | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#2. 1024 x 1024 All sizes | Sazeray | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#3. original (1370 x 1370) All sizes | Sazeray | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Have a look at these Lew - what do you think?
IMO it is just the difference in resolution that is causing "virtually every straight line to have a sharpening halo".
Why this has been picked up on this particular image I don't know, but there you go...

After this, I will post images a bit larger in future, to prevent confusion.

Rob,

This is the worst (or best) example I have seen of the bad job that hosting servers can do when resizing images.
Perhaps it is seem specific characteristic of this image but it seems relatively standard.
They certainly didn't do justice to your picture.

I don't trust a hosting server to do any major resizing so, as much work as it is, I usually upload post images at the same size and resolution as they will display.

Best wishes,

Lew

Fair comment Lew.
I agree 100% with the on-line storing of images at the intended display resolution
I tend to put all images onto Flickr at a max res of 1370pixel per side (seemed to be a good size for screen display).
Then I cocked it up by posting at 640 ... DOH!

Still learning ....

I think this image would make a fantastic print!

Lovely color. Only nit picky thing I can come up with is that the sky right, along the edge there some, looks a bit periwinkle, instead of sky blue, but you are in France and maybe the light is a little different than what I am used to.

Nice job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back