SB-600 or 800

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a Nikon D40. As far as I know, neither of these flashes will work with my camera. Or will they work and not meter? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, if I were to buy one, should I spend more money on the SB-800 or is the SB-600 basically the same thing?

Thanks!

The D40 takes the 800, so I'm sure it would take the 600. Theres also a SB-400. Kenrockwell.com has reviews of all three (he uses the 400 on his D40).

They all do the "same thing" which is offer greater flash lighting, just like all three cameras (200, 80, 40) take pictures - you just get more flexibility as you go up the scale. First determine what you need a dedicated flash for, and then go from there in chosing which one to get. Most will no doubt tell you to go for the 600 (which is 80 more than the 400, but nearly half the 800) - not too advanced, but also wont be outgrown in case you feel like stepping up your photography needs.

If budget isn't an issue get the 800.

But if neither of them work with your camera then simply buy the one that does!

i was using an 800 on a d40 yesterday afternoon at work.

Of course it works with the 600 and 800, they all use i-TTL

I prefer the 800, it's an outstanding flash. And as stated already, the SB400, 600, and 800 work fine with the D40. As far as Ken Rockwells review, I have questioned his reviews and judgment before. He seems to think every shooter has his set of values and his circumstances. I would seek another site for recommendations. If you can't swing the 800 now, get what you can afford and upgrade later. The Nikon wireless multiple TTL system will work with all 3 flashes. You will then be able to use one off camera for creative lighting. It's an amazing system.

Most reactions

Back