SB-600 or SB-800?

sebarrier3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a Nikon D80.. I do mostly outdoor photos and thus far I have had no need for a large flash unit. I was asked to do an indoor wedding next summer and declined because I felt I didn't have the proper equipment (flash) so the client offered to buy me whatever flash I need to get the job done. How could I pass this up? I am researching the SB-600 and SB-800 but wondered if anyone had any advice from experience with either product? Or perhaps a different flash?

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great Holiday this week! :D

~Sarah

yes.... the SB600 will work fine... and the SB800 will work even better... buy the SB800 if you can afford it simply for it's higher guide number for outdoor flashing...

or SB900

EDIT: not sure if the D80 has on board wireless commander / if not the SB800 will also fire your future flashes off camera..

I also have D80 and a student so my budget for camera stuff is practically nothing but my choice is between the 800 and 900

as to the comment above you are able to fire the 800 off camera using commander mode with the built in flash

The D80 has commander mode so a SB-600 will do just fine, the only reason to go for the 800 or 900 is slightly more power, which is always handy.

If it's one of those things that will be covered by expenses from your client and they're ok with it, just get the best you can I'd say.

I've got a D80 and an SB-600, no problems so far. Even in i-ttl mode it works a treat. You wont go wrong with whatever one you buy.

If you choose the SB-800... do it fast. They are officially discontinued and the SB-900 replaces them. $450 battery powered strobe anyone?

For the cost of that one strobe, I can pickup a freaking Alien Bees B1600 amd still have almost $100US in my pocket and the AB will be at least 5 times more powerful!

Personally, I'm just going to go for multiple SB-600s in my setup. 2 per umbrella are even stronger than a single SB-900, and I can separate them and increase versatility if needed. They are also in the $175US each bracket.

Jerry,

Can the equipment you're quoting be found online?

I've never seen a SB600 for that price...I just checked it the other day at Vistek and it was $270 before tax.

Not trying to doubt your words, just point me in the right direction if possible. Thanks :)

I am researching the SB-600 and SB-800 but wondered if anyone had any advice from experience with either product? Or perhaps a different flash?
Pfft, who cares?! They're buying, go for the SB-800! Actually, in that case, get the new SB-900 ;)

For what you need, the SB-600 will do just fine. If they're OK with you getting the SB-800 then it does offer slightly more, but you don't need it. Its just nice to have.

I have one of each now. The SB-600 has served me very well and there is NOTHING wrong with it. The SB-800 is a bit more hard-core and a bit more powerful. It has a lot of very interesting features I haven't even begun to scratch the surface on.

If they are willing to spend the money and you don't feel like you're taking advantage, go for the SB-800, but you won't find yourself wanting if you "settle" for the SB-600.

EDIT: It's good to look at a comparison chart... there *are* some differences, and interestingly sometimes the SB-600 is more suitable... and just because the SB-900 is the latest and greatest, does not mean it is the absolute best for all situations. They really do all have strengths and weaknesses. (like... for example... the SB-600 cycles and is ready to flash again quite a bit quicker than it's bigger brothers)

Jerry,

Can the equipment you're quoting be found online?

I've never seen a SB600 for that price...I just checked it the other day at Vistek and it was $270 before tax.

Not trying to doubt your words, just point me in the right direction if possible. Thanks :)

Not sure where you are shopping my friend, but check out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-600-Speedlight-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0002EMY9Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227880896&sr=8-1"]HERE[/ame], [ame="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=SB-600&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit"]HERE[/ame] and [ame="http://www.adorama.com/NKSB600AFU.html?searchinfo=SB-600&item_no=5"]HERE[/ame] for SB-600 prices *all* under $175US.

Vistek... that may explain it... are you comparing US to Canadian prices? I'd personally never purchase in Canada. 20-30% higher prices and taxes... suck. :lol:

EDIT: It's good to look at a comparison chart... there *are* some differences, and interestingly sometimes the SB-600 is more suitable... and just because the SB-900 is the latest and greatest, does not mean it is the absolute best for all situations. They really do all have strengths and weaknesses. (like... for example... the SB-600 cycles and is ready to flash again quite a bit quicker than it's bigger brothers)

correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the only reason the sb600 has a faster recycle time is because it has less to recycle?

if you output equal power (say 1/4) with both flashes (SB600, SB800), they will both recycle at the same rate. the only reason an sb800 would take longer to recycle if both flashes were fired at 100% power... in this case.... the sb800 needs more time fill up the capacitor but it also discharged more flash power than the sb600 was capable of.... so this would be a moot point no?

correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the only reason the sb600 has a faster recycle time is because it has less to recycle?
Actually, it is 2 reasons... first, yes it is a LITTLE less powerful at full output, no biggie in real life doe moar pwoplw. Second, the recycle times were done on the SB-800 without the 5th battery holder installed. With it, it will recycle faster than the SB-600. I have tested this myself and know it to be true.

if you output equal power (say 1/4) with both flashes (SB600, SB800), they will both recycle at the same rate.
Not quite. 1/4 power on the SB-800 is stronger than 1/4 power on the SB-600. I'd say it is about a 1/2-stop difference.

If the OP *is* getting it paid... get the SB-900, it is the strongest of all of them and has additional features that make it worth it. Free flash? No question, SB-900 all the way.

Just a note though... if they are going to pay anything for it, they'd damn well be fantastic pics, else you will piss off people faster than a rain at a cow-paddy tossing contest. Nothing worse than wet soggy cow-paddys!

Not sure where you are shopping my friend, but check out HERE, HERE and HERE for SB-600 prices *all* under $175US.

Vistek... that may explain it... are you comparing US to Canadian prices? I'd personally never purchase in Canada. 20-30% higher prices and taxes... suck. :lol:

Not true!
I am checking out the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. It's 1469 at BH and Adorama. With the exchange rate today, that is 1853. Before shipping/brokerage fees. It's 1799 at Vistek and I can drive there. Even with tax it's cheaper at Vistek.
And McBains will price match.
And I know some people have said to the contrary, but there are several discussions at the FM forums and other websites saying that nikon USA warranties are not valid in Canada. It even says so right on the Nikon site. I just called Nikon Canada myself and she said no, a US purchased product's warranty is not valid in Canada, the product must be sent to New York for service.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just a note though... if they are going to pay anything for it, they'd damn well be fantastic pics, else you will piss off people faster than a rain at a cow-paddy tossing contest. Nothing worse than wet soggy cow-paddys!

Agreed. The better flash they buy you, the more they're gonna expect. Just keep that in mind.

Most reactions

Back