SB-600 or SB-800?

Not true!
I am checking out the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. It's 1469 at BH and Adorama. With the exchange rate today, that is 1853. Before shipping/brokerage fees. It's 1799 at Vistek and I can drive there. Even with tax it's cheaper at Vistek.

Shipping fees for me are minimal. I pay NO brokerage fees. I pay NO GST. I pay NO QST (provincial taxes). I was smart and converted a nice sum of play money to US currency before it went nuts (when it was at 2%!).

My D700 came out to just under $2500 CANADIAN to my door. SanDisk Extreme IV cards (two of them) cost me $110Cdn each shipped to my door. That 24-70? It came out to just under $1450 Canadian to my door.

Closest deal on a D700 to me was Simon's Cameras in Montreal at $2850... plus GST, plus PST. That comes out to over $3277. Thats almost a $1300 difference right there on this ONE piece alone!

Try to find me these prices anywhere in Canada for these amounts. ;)

If you plan right and shop right, you can find some nice deals. BTW, I did give BHPhoto a chance and they could not come close.
There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. ;)

------------------------------

Edit: Let me look at TODAY what things would come out for a single SB-600, since that is what this thread is all about... back in a few minutes!

Ok I found the following:

Amazon: $173 + $10 (ball part shipping cost) = $183 + conversion to CDN (25%) = $228.75 + Quebec taxes (about 15%) = $263.06.
Ship USPS and save brokerage charges.

At Vistek: $270 + $15 (ball part shipping cost) = $285 + Quebec taxes (about 15%) = $327.75

Which is less? I just found you a SB-600 for $60 less. Now, pick it up yourself on the US side, pay less shipping AND save an additional $60 (or more) in taxes. Thats well over a $100 savings.

Basically, I'll have to disagree with you. :)

Last edited:
I just got the SB-600 2 weeks ago at McBains for $210 plus $8 shipping. It was at my door in one day! I'm in Alberta.

Are you not concerned about the warranty issue?

There are no issues with warranty. Some local dealers try to BS you so they make a sale in Canada. Call Nikon yourself and find out (I did!).

Also, Alberta also doesn't pay provincial taxes, if I recall... the rest of Canada does.

Funny you mention Vistek, I check Vistek, they are more expensive. If I call McBains right now, I wonder what I will find.

Let me check... back in a few.

---------------------------------

Back. Uhhmm... sorry dude, you are loosing credibility fast with me. McBains sells them ON SALE for $249 (regular $269). I asked the guy if I ordered 12 of them RIGHT NOW, would he drop the price to $210 each... he refused. I said I know someone who said they paid $210 recently... he laughed at me.

Here is their link that proves the price:

http://www.mcbaincamera.com/productdetail.php?mcbain_id=0243138

BUSTED! :lmao:

Last edited:
Jerry, check my post above. I DID call Nikon this very morning and they told me NO, they will not accept US bought items, you have to return it to the US, specifically she said New York if it needs repairing.
If you find a price anywhere in Canada, send the price/link to McBains and they will price match for you. gotta love them for that.

Not true!
And I know some people have said to the contrary, but there are several discussions at the FM forums and other websites saying that nikon USA warranties are not valid in Canada. It even says so right on the Nikon site. I just called Nikon Canada myself and she said no, a US purchased product's warranty is not valid in Canada, the product must be sent to New York for service.

quoting myself so Jerry can see.

quoting myself so Jerry can see.

I'm kinda doubting that you called in the first place. Your last 2 posts really don't offer you a lot of credibility as they were proven BS. You seem to like to add another twist each time you are shown less than truthful. Now McBain want a price check and will match... where was your proof that you could get it at that price? Why did you not mention this the first time? Why would they sell you ONE at that price and not a DOZEN to me?? When earlier I asked for a DOZEN SB-600s I was laughed at and the sale refused. Sorry, I'm through with playing that game with you.

As far as warranties are concerned... what can I say... I called Nikon Toronto and Nikon Montreal now at least 5 times and the answer was always the same... yes warranty issues are no problem and would be honored.

What do you think happens to all the people that visit the USA, Japan, Sigapore and what not and are from Canada... you think that Nikon Canada will not honor the warranty if they made a purchase while on vacation? Of course not, and my calls confirm this.

I don't know whom you spoke to, but if needed, I suggest you call yourself again and see... and stop depending on hearsay from people in forums, if this is where you are getting from... becuase thats what *I* did and they confirmed my questions the same way every time with a resounding "yes" in TWO provinces now several times... both last year and this year before I picked up my D700 and accessories.

Tell you what, let's end it here... you buy where you want... I'll buy (and pay less WITH warranty), where I want... and we can both be happy. Others can also choose to do the exercise and pay more or less depending on their own research.

Last edited:
I'm kinda doubting that you called in the first place. Your last 2 posts really don't offer you a lot of credibility as they were proven BS. You seem to like to add another twist each time you are shown less than truthful. Now McBain want a price check and will match... where was your proof that you could get it at that price? Why did you not mention this the first time? Why would they sell you ONE at that price and not a DOZEN to me?? When earlier I asked for a DOZEN SB-600s I was laughed at and the sale refused. Sorry, I'm through with playing that game with you.

As far as warranties are concerned... what can I say... I called Nikon Toronto and Nikon Montreal now at least 5 times and the answer was always the same... yes warranty issues are no problem and would be honored.

What do you think happens to all the people that visit the USA, Japan, Sigapore and what not and are from Canada... you think that Nikon Canada will not honor the warranty if they made a purchase while on vacation? Of course not, and my calls confirm this.

I don't know whom you spoke to, but if needed, I suggest you call yourself again and see... and stop depending on hearsay from people in forums, if this is where you are getting from... becuase thats what *I* did and they confirmed my questions the same way every time with a resounding "yes" in TWO provinces now several times... both last year and this year before I picked up my D700 and accessories.

Tell you what, let's end it here... you buy where you want... I'll buy (and pay less WITH warranty), where I want... and we can both be happy. Others can also choose to do the exercise and pay more or less depending on their own research.

What the hell are you talking about??
Proven BS?? Another twist??
If you find a lower price in Canada, and McBains offers to price match, OF COURSE you would have to prove that to them. You think they are going to take your word for it?? ANY STORE would require proof.
Where was my proof that I could get it at that price??? They had it for sale at that price on their website 2 weeks ago!! You think I need to show you my receipt to prove anything to YOU? Why the hell would I lie about that??? You are totally mess up! I'm not playing any game with you, what a laugh!!!

Heresay on forums??? You jerk! You are the one I was getting that information from (that Nikon Canada would indeed honour a warranty if bought in the US) and there was no freaking way I was going to listen to you, SOME GUY ON A FORUM, so I called them myself this morning and asked and was told NO, THEY WILL NOT HONOUR A WARRANTEE IF BOUGHT IN THE US, THAT IT MUST BE SENT TO NEW YORK IF IT NEEDS WARRANTEE WORK. Why the hell would you think that I would lie about that. How freaking paranoid of you!!!

I'm not busted on anything, it was their website price 2 weeks ago. I am looking at the reciept right in front of me!

Jerk.

I am talking to my husband on the phone right now, he is at Don's Photo picking me up a new memory card. I had him ask the guy about the Nikon warranty and they said NO, they will not repair a US bought Nikon product in Canada. He is saying that up until about 3-4 months ago they had an International warranty program where you could take your Nikon product to any authorized dealer for repair but now it has changed so that if you buy in the US, your warranty is only good in the US. Buy in Canada and your warranty is only good in Canada.
So stuff it.

lmao! Sore looser or something? Another twist yet again???

Do what you want.. I will too. ;)

You jerk!
Jerk.

Tut tut now... let's try to be mature, ok?

From the forum rules:
* Flaming is not tolerated. Any member who routinely taunts, insults, or engages in any inflammatory, fight-inducing behavior will face banning, and such posts will be edited or removed.

Tut tut now... let's try to be mature, ok?

From the forum rules:
* Flaming is not tolerated. Any member who routinely taunts, insults, or engages in any inflammatory, fight-inducing behavior will face banning, and such posts will be edited or removed.

YOU are the one that called me a liar! Why don't YOU try to follow the rules? Are you a moderator? No. Then you do not need to be quoting from the UA to me, something you clearly like to do, I've seen you do it to other posters as well. Not your job!

Have a nice evening and enjoy your purchases. I know I shall enjoy mine. :)
As far as calling you a lair... I called BS on your post and called out your credibility... but if you your actions did that and you feel a little foolish... I do not feel too bad about it. ;)

Most reactions

Back