SB-600 with Rebel XTi

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can a Nikon SB-600 speedlight be used with a Canon Rebel XTi. I know I'll lose the e-TTL or i-TTL features of it, but can it be safely used nonetheless? I heard there may be potential problems regarding using different brand speedlights with camera in regards to the hot-shoe mount burning either the speedlight or the camera.

Keep in mind the manufacturers don't like you playing with oddball flashes on their cameras. I had a buddy of mine use some oddball one on his Canon and the camera died on him... was it related? Hard to be certain, but it was coincidentally when he was using it, and the first time he did it. Just be careful.

well, I probably wouldn't use it on camera, but you could use it just fine off camera as a manual flash. Get a flash trigger off ebay or something (or go nice and get a Pocket Wizard or something). That way you don't really have to worry about the brand.

Keep in mind the manufacturers don't like you playing with oddball flashes on their cameras. I had a buddy of mine use some oddball one on his Canon and the camera died on him... was it related? Hard to be certain, but it was coincidentally when he was using it, and the first time he did it. Just be careful.

Sounds like a High Voltage sync to me. Canon's are especially sensitive to voltages above 6V and entirely not related but incredibly interesting given that you'd expect the opposite, Nikon were the first to make Low Voltage sync flash units.

No working Nikon flash back to about mid 70s can break a camera.

^^^ interesting. Well, good to know. I should go lookup the flash he was using. I think it was an old Quantaray or something. It wasn't listed as a viable flash for his camera, but he gave it a try.

This doesn't sound like the best match possible (not to mention what others will tell you when they see a Nikon flash on a Canon camera... lol)... let me explain why:

- Used while in manual it will work, that means you MUST set the flash yourself each time.

- no eTTL. The flash won't auto adjust from picture to picture.

- There is no sync port on an SB-600, you need to spend more money on adapters to get it to work off camera.

I love my SB-600s, I own 2 of them, but I am all Nikon. In your case, I would suggest you look at the EX430s or something similar from Canon for best results. Also SIGMA makes a few nice flahes that will do TTL on your XT and cost a little less.

Oh I was just looking to borrow my friend's SB-600 to use on my Rebel. So, for sure the camera and flash units won't damage each other?

I honestly don't think so, but then again, I wold not be willing to gamble by handing out my SB-600s to friends, because even if it did work, results would be far from acceptable anyways unless you did a lot of manual adjustments on each pic (on top of the fact that the WORST place for a flash is on top of a camera anyways!)... and even if I was sure about it, I still would not want to take any chances with something that I paid ~$200 on.

I make it a point not to borrow other people's equipment, nor do I lend mine.

Stupid question... if something did happen, who pays for the replacement? Just something to clear up with your friend before hand. ;)

Not true. SB-600 supports self metered automatic exposure. I used such a flash (SB-10) for a good 5 years and it produced many great shots :) My film body doesn't even support TTL flashes.

Sounds like a High Voltage sync to me. Canon's are especially sensitive to voltages above 6V and entirely not related but incredibly interesting given that you'd expect the opposite, Nikon were the first to make Low Voltage sync flash units.
^^^ interesting. Well, good to know. I should go lookup the flash he was using. I think it was an old Quantaray or something. It wasn't listed as a viable flash for his camera, but he gave it a try.
Here is a list of flashes with 'reported trigger voltages'. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
That page uses the 6v rating for 'safe or not'...but keep in mind that EOS cameras in the last 3 or 4 years will probably have a rating of 250v....so most flash units will be safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back