SB-700 vs Nissin Di622 mkII

Arby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for advice on which speedlight to purchase in order to improve the quality of my indoor family photos. I read Ken Rockwell's reviews and thought I might be fine using the SB-400, but since it only pivots vertically and a few rooms have very high ceilings, I think I might be better off buying a stronger flash which also rotates horizontally. I went to my local camera shop to look at the SB-700 which I'm sure will suit me fine, however the salesman highly recommended the Nissin Di622 mkII at nearly $100 cheaper. I found several positive reviews of the Nissin on the internet, but would certainly appreciate any more input from anyone here with experience with it.

A few questions about it: The Nikon has FX/DX recognition, whereas the Nissin does not. It seems the Nissin will always fire based upon FX format, meaning that my DX format camera will get plenty of light since it's just a crop of the flash output. On the other hand, that also means that the Nissin will output far more light for each shot than is necessary for my camera sensor. Has anyone found this to lead to overheating issues with the Nissin that wouldn't otherwise occur in similar shooting situations with the Nikon?

The SB-700 also touts color filter identification which it appears that the Nissin does not have. I understand that matching the temperature of the flash to that of the ambient light is important when there is a somewhat equal mix of ambient and flash lighting, however how important is it really that the speedlight tells the camera what white balance setting to use? When using auto WB, does the camera already determine WB based upon its analysis of the ambient light pre-exposure, or is the white balance determination made at the time of the exposure? Besides, if I shoot in RAW, it all can be fixed later anyhow, so how important is the Nikon filter recognition?

Thanks in advance!

You brought up all the points that seem to be important to you. Whatever anybody here says, the responses will reflect what in their view is important, or not, to them. You decide if the differences you brought up are important to you or not, no one here can do that for you. $100 is not a great deal of difference.

I got a Yongnuo YN-565EX, great flash, I do believe it supports CLS, as well as both full frame and what is labeled half frame in the sub menus, so far it's been a great flash to go with my Nikon D5100, I've had no issues with it.

I got a Yongnuo YN-565EX, great flash, I do believe it supports CLS, as well as both full frame and what is labeled half frame in the sub menus, so far it's been a great flash to go with my Nikon D5100, I've had no issues with it.

Yongnuo makes good flashes for much cheaper than nikon/canon. I use a Yongnuo YN-560 II with my D7000 and it works really good for me although it is a manual flash it has been a learning curve to get proper exposure with manual flash.

There is never any question as to the compatibility of a SB-700 with a Nikon camera. Everything will function perfectly. As if it were made for the camera. In the case of another brand that may or may not be true. To each their own but when I bought my speedlights I didn't even bother looking at anything except Nikon because I didn't want them.

Like Patrice warned, you got some 'I have this and it's great' replies.

The YN-565EX, does not do Nikon CLS, which is a Nikon proprietary camera to flash unit communication system.
The YN-565EX apparent can do TTL, but not CLS Commander mode.

The Yongnuo flash units are indeed inexpensive, as demonstrated by their lower than camera maker flash unit build quality, very basic functionality, and questionable power output claims.

The only third party flashes I have are vivitar 285hv's. I know some people's opinions vary but I prefer Nikon to Nikon for on camera flash. You cant beat OEM build and reliability. Off camera flash, it's up to you. I use a few nikon speedlights and the 285HV.

I have the sb700, turn it on and it works without issues.

Most reactions

Back