SB 900? or SB 700?

pashabelman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pashabelmanphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for new flashes for my Nikon... I need something I can use as off camera flash... what do you all think? is that worth the money between the two to go with SB 900 Nikon Flash?

SB-910 is out. Used SB-900s are going for 325-350 here in Tampa, there's one on Craigslist now.

SB-900 > SB-700, compare specs.

For OCF on location, I just used Vivitar 285HV's.

For the cost of a SB-700 I could get 4 285HV's. TTL is to inconsistant, so why pay for it or use it.

Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Or get 3 285hv's and 2 of these radio trigger kits - StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

a lot of people are using Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon based on recommendations by David Hobby at www.strobist.com.

For what the SB-700 and SB-900/910 cost and the limited power they put out, I'd also seriously consider a much more powerful monoblock studio strobe instead for about the same money.

Genesis 400

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For OCF on location, I just used Vivitar 285HV's.

For the cost of a SB-700 I could get 4 285HV's. TTL is to inconsistant, so why pay for it or use it.

Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Or get 3 285hv's and 2 of these radio trigger kits - StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

a lot of people are using Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon based on recommendations by David Hobby at www.strobist.com.

For what the SB-700 and SB-900/910 cost and the limited power they put out, I'd also seriously consider a much more powerful monoblock studio strobe instead for about the same money.

Genesis 400
Does Yongnuo has a place where I plug my cord for my Pocket Wizards? I like the price.. but what about the quality of those flashes? I shoot weddings, so I do not need strobes.. flashes are usually enough for us.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My experience with the SB900 is that it overheats too easily. This may not be a problem under most photography circumstances but could spell disaster at a wedding if you ever need to take rapid shots using high flash power levels. It seems some people experience this problem and some don't... Maybe there's a bad batch?

All the wedding shooters I know use both speedlights and studio strobe, and you didn't mention weddings in your OP..

After watching this video, it appears the SB700 is best when it comes to recycle times, if that matters much to you.

Skip to 1:00 to see the beginning of the test and skip to 2:00 to see the 1/1 full power test

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back