SB 900

AmberNikol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i've had my Sb 900 for awhile now, and everytime I use it it goes through batteries like nothing else. At times when I'm doing a gig I have to wait a moment or two till it will work again. It's getting VERY frustrating. Is there a special battery I should be using or something that I can get that will allow me to continue to use my flash without having to "give it a break"?

Thanks!

Are you using alkalines or rechargeables? Find some NiMH rechargeables if you're not using them already. The recycle time is a bit faster than alkalines and should even give you a few more pops per charge.

Also, I don't know what you're shooting, but you'll drain the battery a lot slower if you're not firing on full power the whole time. Opening up your aperture or raising your ISO would help you back it off a bit.

Thanks Rabman, I'll try to find where I can get them and give it a try.

Have a look at page F-21 of your SB-900 users manual.

The higher the rating, mAh, of NiMH batteries, the longer they last - per charge.

Also, the higher mAh rated NiMH batteries (2400+ mAh, or so) don't hold their charge for more than a couple of days or so, while the lower power rated NiMH batteries like Eneloops (2000 mAh), are usually a slow-discharge design and will hold a charge for months, but run out of power sooner when in use.

I use the highest rated NiMH batteries I can get, and just make sure they get charged the night before a shoot.

I recommend using a good Maha brand charger and I currently use Powerex 2700 mAh batteries: Maha Powerex 2700mAh AA Rechargeable Batteries

Last edited:
Thanks Keith, I'll check into them. Do they have these type at like Best Buy or something? Or can I only get them online?

Oh I must also make note that I can't find my manual for my speed light nor camera...:-( Had to do some cleaning, found them and said to myself I need to put these in a safe place...well don't ya know, i now can not remember where I put them...haha So i'm still searching for both! lol Hopefully i'll find them soon!

You can download the manuals from Nikon. Personally, I keep a copy of the manuals for all of my equipment on my iPhone.

Oh thanks! I'll have to do that till I can find mine. I'll put it in my dropbox folder so I always have it! ;-)

This is totally different from other suggestions. I use Quantum QB external batteries to power my flashes when I foresee lots of use at high power and fast recycles. They are a bit pricey but dead reliable, very durable (5 years and counting) and when the lead acid battery inside eventually needs replacing it's an easy diy fix or inexpensive at a battery shop. Do a search and you'll also find diy external battery solutions.

If you ever find your users manuals again, put them in your camera bag.

To me, the users manual seems even more valuable than the camera itself. Without the manual there will be features, functions, and nuances you'll never discover your camera/speedlight/lens/etc has.

I have heard great things about the eneloop batteries as well.

Regards,
Jake

Have a look at page F-21 of your SB-900 users manual.

The higher the rating, mAh, of NiMH batteries, the longer they last - per charge.

Also, the higher mAh rated NiMH batteries (2400+ mAh, or so) don't hold their charge for more than a couple of days or so, while the lower power rated NiMH batteries like Eneloops (2000 mAh), are usually a slow-discharge design and will hold a charge for months, but run out of power sooner when in use.

I use the highest rated NiMH batteries I can get, and just make sure they get charged the night before a shoot.

I recommend using a good Maha brand charger and I currently use Powerex 2700 mAh batteries: Maha Powerex 2700mAh AA Rechargeable Batteries

Bang-on info here. I've got some Duracell 2700mAh's, and they are workhorses when freshly charged, but won't hold a good charge for more than a week.

For being a more generic battery company, Rayovac has come out with a slow-discharge battery, sold as Pre-Charged. I bought a set, ran them through a few cycles, and then charged them & put them in a drawer for about a month... pulled them out, and they work just as well as the Eneloops.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Oh and I found my manuals! haha they are going into my camera bag! ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back