SB-910 Firing Before Recycled

Sushiholic11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased an Nikon SB-910 flash unit and I think I may be having a problem with it. I can fire the flash before it is fully recharged resulting in underexposed pictures. If I wait for the red light to turn on everything is fine.

I have an SB-600 that I am fairly certain makes me wait until it is recharged fully before it will fire.

Is the SB-910 acting correctly? Is this a setting that I can change?

Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I have searched the manual and played with the flash but I cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

Sushi

I could be wrong, but I believe that has to do with the thermal cut off. The SB900 wouldnt work at all if this point was reached, and could have possibly damaged the flash. The 910 has this feature, so the flash can still be used, it will just not be firing at full power, resulting in your underexposed images.

This explains it better then I can. Skip to about the 4 minute mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply!

A little more information is that I can repeat this problem from the first time I use the flash. The second time it fires can result in an underexposed picture if I push the shutter too quick.

So I don't think it is a temperature problem.

Sushi

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the SB-600 will also fire if not fully recharged..

The cycle time is dependent on the power output setting. Maximum cycle time occurs when full power is used, and usually when Auto FP sync is used too.

If you're using TTL mode, the camera sets the power output.
If you manually set the power for less than full power, cycle time is shortened.
Nikon recommends using NiMH or Lithium batteries to get minimum 10 second recycle from a full power flash - longer if the batteries are no longer fully charged.

On way to enable using a lower power setting, manually or with TTL, is to open the lens aperture more.

I think you'll find that the SB-910 will flash whenever there it is sufficiently recharged to do so which won't necessarily give the full exposure that you require.

The setting to be adjusted is the red light detector - don't trigger the flash until the red light comes on and the unit is fully charged.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back