sb600 On camera diffuser

I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't),
Me.

I use flash in about 90% of the images I make, inside and outside.

It gives me a ton more control and opens creative avenues not available using only natural light.

I really don't like lighting..lol I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't), but living in IL good luck with that!!

The Demb looks nice. And affordable. I was also looking at the LumiQuest Softbox III Flash Diffuser. I wonder if it's any good....

780994967_DJidP-M.jpg

780994954_YcZm5-M.jpg

780995001_LLBcc-M.jpg

780994993_Zr8uP-M.jpg

As for the Lumiquest III, check out the results using this device when compared to just pointing your flash directly at the subject:

780995019_6uQYf-M.jpg

780994981_bKBd3-M.jpg

As Big Mike said, get your light and play with it. You can do everything you need with the bare flash in most cases. For the few other situations where you don't have something to bounce directly off of, get a bounce card (buy one or make one). Most of the flash defusers on the market are worthless (not including the bounce cards or derivatives thereof, these can be useful).

I always use a bounce card like the one mike is talking about.
its nice because you can still bounce your light off the ceillings while using the bounce card. you get the extra fill light with the bounce card.

I use it alot and get alot of good result.

Outside, using the bounce card as a fill light is pretty useless if your are at a certain distance from the subjet and its power consuming since your flash is pointed up.

i just ordered a small softbox that i can use directly on the speelight and point the flash direclly towards the subject without getting a harsh light.

Don't trust what fanboys tell you about the Gary Fong diffuser. Those that repeatedly say "OMG it's a night and day difference!!!!" are just falling for the great lie that the now-rich seller has created. Keep you $50 and make one that looks better.

Don't trust what fanboys tell you about the Gary Fong diffuser. Those that repeatedly say "OMG it's a night and day difference!!!!" are just falling for the great lie that the now-rich seller has created. Keep you $50 and make one that looks better.
What you talkin about Willis? The Fong is quite useful.

97804137.jpg

Just flash a few hundred times really quickly and it warms your noodles too!

ROFL! I stand corrected. Great for lunch on those all-day events. *goes order the one I returned again*

i paid like 8 bucks for the bounce card i am using.

its about 6X8 and doing a great job so far

Not talking about bounce cards. The Gary Fong diffuser is the lovely $50-$60 piece of plastic that inTempus put up there. ^^^

Not talking about bounce cards. The Gary Fong diffuser is the lovely $50-$60 piece of plastic that inTempus put up there. ^^^

that things is too expensive.

It's not the expensive part that's annoying. Most things in the photography market are expensive. If it worked, I would have kept mine. It's the fact that it's not doing what it claims to be doing.

I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't),
Me.

I use flash in about 90% of the images I make, inside and outside.

It gives me a ton more control and opens creative avenues not available using only natural light.

yup. i love using strobes. honestly, when i walk aruond with my camera, i have my CTR-301Ps connected at all times, to at least ONE flash.

i even have to take those mirror photos with a light set up.

of course, when natural light works, i'll use it.

anyway.

diffusers! what i'd do is... i'd go on ebay and try and find replicas of brand name diffusers for cheaper. i picked up a set of 3 (one of each color) sto-fen replicas for about $7, while they sell those for $10 EACH on amazon... and $30 EACH at my local store. at around $2 per diffuser, you can't go wrong. now the sto-fen isn't exactly THE best diffuser out there... but i'm not complaining because... well it was so cheap. go on ebay and try to find replicas if you're dead bent on using one. :] if you really like it then you can consider buying the real thing.

Please take a look at this video. This guy was one of the first to advocate this exact DIY Better Bounce Card. Feel free to Google search on "A Better Bounce Card + DIY" for text-based plans on how to cut this out and make this. Otherwise, spend 18 minutes and learn all you need to know about how to make an effective bounce/diffusion system that actually works. When I was young, we did this with index cards and the blue, thick rubber bands that (still can be found in the produce section!) hold asparagus bunches together.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM[/ame]

Excellent post Derrel! Gems like these are yet another reason I enjoy this forum so much!

Anyone know what he means by "Rag Shop"? Perhaps it is the name of a store in his area? I'm in Columbus, Ohio if anyone knows of an equivalent material. Until then printer paper will do :)

Thanks again, great resource.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back