Scanner Question

Bluesfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all I am new to the forum but not to photography. I need your opinions on scanners. I have a ton of negatives(35mm) to scan. I am on a tight supply of cash also. So in your opinion what is the best bang for the buck scanner available? If anyone has a idea on what would work the best that would be fantastic. Thanks :)

Welcome to the forum.

The best bang for the buck would probably be a flatbed of some type. You will need to look for one that has a film scanning tray or attachment.

For better quality, you should look into a dedicated film scanner (not a flat bed)...these are more expensive though.

You need to decide a budget. Buying a scanner is much like purchasing a DSLR. Budget.. first.. then go from there.

Dedicated have always been the route to the best quality scans of film. They are expensive. Those capable of medium format are even more expensive.

I'm a big Epson fan... printers, scanners, image tank, and R-d1. I have found that the only flatbed scanner that can compete with the likes of a dedicated is the V700 (same unit as the V750). They are bargain in comparison to dedicated scanners but expensive when compared to other flatbeds. I continue to be amazed by the quality of the scans and my only complaint is the darn flimsy negative holders.

Previous to the V700, I had the 3170. Also a mid-low-end scanner that you can find used REAL cheap. Performs well, although it is obsolete by todays standard.

So basically in the Epson line, you have some good choices based on how much you want to spend.

4490 - $180
4990 - $400
V700 - $550

Here was my initial impressions of the V700 when I first purchased it:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62119

Oh btw..

The refurb unit that Cero pointed too... it is a good buy. I've purchased a couple refurb units direct from Epson, including my R-D1, and they have all been good buys. THere are some wonderful discounts to be found on Epson Refurb direct... the R-D1 I purchased was about 58% off the originl price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back