scored a sweet deal, need some help though

Thor the Mighty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artwanted.com
my grandpa came accross a scarcely used Canon AE1, a ton of lenses, and a tripod. i just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this camera, and if they know what kind of lenses it takes so i can get even more for it. thanks a lot.

The Canon AE-1 was a very popular model up to the early 80s before the Canon Autofocus EOS cameras came along.

They are good cameras. I believe that a common issue is shutter squeak but I don't know if that is anything more than annoying.

This camera uses lenses with the Canon FD mount. All manual focus. The good news is that these lenses are easy to find on the used market, and are fairly inexpensive. The bad news is that FD lenses are not compatible with newer Canon EOS cameras (autofocus).

Try the camera out, see how well it works and if the meter is working. You might consider taking it in for a CLA (clean, lube & adjust). If it's in good shape and you have some good lenses...there is no reason it can't give you years of good service.

Big Mike said:
They are good cameras. I believe that a common issue is shutter squeak but I don't know if that is anything more than annoying.

Indeed they are great cameras! I've had two AE1 and two A1. I still have one AE1 and it had the shutter squeak and that's easily fixed. If it's got it you should fix it, it doesn't take more than 35-40 bucks to do it.

Have fun with it.

Thor the Mighty said:
is there a way to get that thing faster than 1/1000?!?!?

Unfortunately, no.

Most reactions

Back