Scotland, last November

Tim, I like this one. Care to provide more detail about the location? If I were to visit, where would I find the hills and what elevations are they?

WesternGuy

Tim, I like this one. Care to provide more detail about the location? If I were to visit, where would I find the hills and what elevations are they?

WesternGuy
It's looking SW towards the Grampians (About 1000m) from a point on the West Highland Way. Behind me is Black Mount, on the left is Rannoch Moor, to the right is Bridge of Orchy, and hidden in the dip between foreground and background is the A82. If you google black mount scotland - Google Search you will see the classic view looking east from the A82, the West Highland Way essentially runs the other side of the water. I took a shot of the black mount (facing the opposite way from the shot above) from a little further up the path here: First dusting of snow on the Scottish Highlands

Thanks Tim. I pulled it up on Google maps. Looks like quite beautiful countryside to hike and photograph.

WesternGuy

Certainly is a beautiful area to explore. I have been there quite a few times. Hotel at Bridge of Orchy has good food and drink, but if you stay there ask for rooms in the annexe as they lock the front door of the main building, so for sunrise shoots, you won't be able to get out without setting off the fire exit alarm...

I look forward to your posts as they always include spectacular pics of home.
This one is just a tad over sharpened for me but that is nitpicking in the extreme.
Super shot.

This one is just a tad over sharpened for me but that is nitpicking in the extreme.
Super shot.

I know what you mean. ;) First stage sharpening is just default settings, final sharpening is by a simple high pass filter knocked back to 49% opacity on the full size and about 23% on the resize. The problem is the relatively fine detail in the foreground combined with the relatively high contrast, it just doesn't resize that well without looking harsh.
However the "view full file at 25% on screen" is slightly softer so I've just done a screenshot of that which I'm much happier with :):

Last edited:
Super shot.

I know what you mean. ;) First stage sharpening is just default settings, final sharpening is by a simple high pass filter knocked back to 49% opacity on the full size and about 23% on the resize. The problem is the relatively fine detail in the foreground combined with the relatively high contrast, it just doesn't resize that well without looking harsh.
However the "view full file at 25% on screen" is slightly softer so I've just done a screenshot of that which I'm much happier with :):

If I understand it right I think all you would need to do is use the gradient 'brush' in LR run it up 3/4 of the way in the foreground and reduce clarity, not shrpness or contrast just clarity.

All said and done it is a wonderful picture that would look great hanging on a wall about 100 Cm wide.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back