Scrtach disk full?

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never encountered this problem on PS CS2 and have been using it for a long time. I was editing photos for a website and when I tried to crop one a message appeared telling me it could not crop because the scrtach disk is full. How do I empty the scratch disk?

you need to make more room an your hard drive. PS makes temp files as your working, if it runs out of ram (space where your scratch disks are installed) it cannot continue to build the temp file and gives you the error message.

how do I make space? do I delete my temp files? Why am I just getting this message now. I have edited hundereds possibly thousands of photos in photoshop over the past couple years is the scratch disc that big?

just make some more hard drive space.... delete some stuff... You souldn't need to touch the temp files, as they are just that, temporary files.... they can be quite big but PS only uses them for a short period then will automatically dispose of them.

If you have your hard drive in more than one partition you can change the location of where PS uses the temp space to the one which isn't also using your operating system. This is better for scratch disk space.... but dont worry if you dont have a partition its not worth reformatting for.

If your still having problems after making plenty of hard disk space then run a defragger.

I set my scratchdisk to drive c which has 69GB of free space however I still am receiving the scratch disk full message? Any ideas?

hmmm try rebooting first.. then open PS again.. if it still does it you may need to defrag the C drive... it doesnt really like re-writting the the space as its only a temp file so it prefers clean defragged space.

Im defragmenting right now and then Ill try to reboot. Hope it solves the problem. I ave no idea why this happened I have plenty of space and have editing way more photos in a single PS session without problem than I had edited today when I encountered this. I did recently have to recover my harddrive and reinstall PS would this cause any potential problem?

possibly yes... the info iv given so far i know from when my mac use to get the error all the time, i guess when it comes to pc it can be a number of different things that could also add to the problem. It should be fixable tho.

make sure you empty your recycling bin....this has happened to me and that should clear it up!!

Just so you know, it is not recommended to have your scratch disk go to C drive. It should go to another partition. I have a 20 gig partition named Scratch disk just for Photoshop. That way the program runs as fast as possible.

Sometimes photoshop will leave temp files on that disk, but it's easy to clean it up with a quick format.

Most reactions

Back