scum of the earth

I hear about this happening all the time. Why do people leave their gear in their cars???

I live in an apartment in a not so good neighborhood with not so good neighbors. I feel much more comfortable leaving my gear in my car when my car is usually with me than i do leaving it in the apartment.

Never leave anything in the car, no matter how insignificant it is. When I lived in Detroit, I was told not to leave anything visible especially small changes. The homeless guys WILL break your window to get it. To them, a quarter is a quarter. Your car window doesn't cost anything to them. If they get caught, they will have shelter for the night.

In the 6 years I lived in Detroit, nothing ever happened to my car. Conversely, I have had my car keyed and broken into when parked IN THE DRIVE WAY in very nice and safe neighborhoods in other parts of the country. You just never know, so don't take the chance. If you need to leave anything in the car, put them in the trunk.

lol funny enough i currently live/travel between detroit and home myself, and never had anythign happen to my car, but when pulled a 6 hour shift at work some asshole broke in and completely took off the steering wheel and the entire steering colum while trying to steal my car, they failed, but it also left my car undrivable. i didnt have anything out for them to try and take, ive lived in and around detroit far long enough not to do that so they just wanted my car

this was when i worked at fuddruckers in taylor

I have no personal experience with car break-ins and I don't know the laws of car insurance in every state but I can assure you that two friends who had the experience got covered for the contents by their car insurance.

As for the "I live in a nice neighborhood" thing, that one always surprises me. Granted, not being a thief, maybe I don't think quite like they do but if I was going to break into a car I would do in a nice area.

Still, sorry to hear your story.

^^^^Your special^^^^

I doubt it. It'd be sweet if I was. I think it's just standard in at least Pennsylvania. Also... while reading through my policy and a few others on Geico and State Farm's it appears in PA your stereo is not covered but you can buy extra coverage for that... seems kinda backwards.

Weird??? who knows. Id rather not test the waters!!!

^^^^Your special^^^^

I doubt it. It'd be sweet if I was. I think it's just standard in at least Pennsylvania. Also... while reading through my policy and a few others on Geico and State Farm's it appears in PA your stereo is not covered but you can buy extra coverage for that... seems kinda backwards.

Weird??? who knows. Id rather not test the waters!!!

True.

Regardless of where you live I guess you always have your home/rent insurance to fall back on as already stated.

I take it this was a rant only thread from the OP and not a rant / replacement thread. I was wondering how it worked out.

Oh no. I'm so sorry. That really sucks. I left mine in the car one night and literally couldn't sleep because I was so worried about it, so about 12.30 I went to get it out and bring it inside. Also, I'm careful to not leave it exposed to the elements. Granted, its bagged, but it still gets really hot here in the summers and really cold in the winters. I'm just paranoid. Its my baby.

And kudos on the title of this thread. Well said.

Unfortunately it is not possible anymore to leave such things in the car. Some friends of mine also happened the same. I am of the opinion that this is really annoying, that you cannot leave something in the car. In this case does the insurance cover the damage? I am not quite sure but I think that a US car insurance would no cover the full damage. Would be interesting to know how this works in the UK.

House or appartment insurance generally covers up to $5,000 of property that is not in the house.

skieur

I just recently added my equipment to my homeowners policy. Between my D90, my son's D3000, 80-200 2.8, and other equipment, the total cost was well over $3,000. My policy is about $40/year. Pretty inexpensive peace of mind.

Most reactions

Back