Seashells On Black Foam Core

TonyBritton

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
tonybritton.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of my favorite tabletop photography projects involves the use of black foam core board. I especially enjoy photographing my seashell collection. In this case, it's all about the wonderful interplay of light & shadow.

Tony

1. Additional use of mirror, of course!
brittonbfcsshell2016-M.jpg

bfcbritton2016-M.jpg

seashells%20%282%29-M.jpg

4. Illuminated
illuminationbritton2016-M.jpg

mayshells.jpg%20%286%29-M.jpg

eyeintheskybritton-M.jpg

cambridge2016tonybritton%20%283%29-M.jpg

septshells%20%282%29%20%282%29-M.jpg

Really nice set. We did some shelling last month and found what we thought were pretty, but nothing as beautiful as these.

I love the first one! The pearlescent on the middle shell is gorgeous

Really nice set. We did some shelling last month and found what we thought were pretty, but nothing as beautiful as these.
Thanks. Just to be sure, the ultra-shiny shells have been polished, which despite their enhanced beauty, are always a challenge to photograph in the sense of minimizing "hot spots" due to the lighting. They look especially nice against the black background!

Tony

How do you polish them? Love #6! What possible creature can use a shell like that? Really weird form for a shell but gorgeous.

Man, I love these!

How do you polish them? Love #6! What possible creature can use a shell like that? Really weird form for a shell but gorgeous.
Hi Brent,

I don't polish them myself. There was a shop on a municipal wharf that sold these and I thought they'd be interesting lighting projects. I expect that #6 as well as #1 in this set have been cut / sliced for added visual interest. Number 7 looks like a braking wave! One of my primary goals in these types of black foam core board projects is to present the subject, a seashell in this case, as if viewing an astrophotography image. For example, sunlight striking the "planet" from an oblique angle as if it's floating in the blackness of outer space. I used a similar approach with an aquarium photo of a jellyfish, which I made appear nearly like a photograph of a deep space nebula. I call the jellyfish photo "Inner Space Meets Outer Space."

Tony

EXCELLENT photos! Shot after shot after shot! Well-done!

Very nice set you have there. I would love to try some macros of some of the colorful shells... Very beautiful collection

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back