Second attempt at Portraits....CC Please

Tracybug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I had a second attempt at taking photos of my daughter yesterday. I'm still having problems with lighting though!!! I was trying the adice I received here and was trying to get more light on her eyes....but it seems like I wash out her face when I do that. Any suggestions to improve the lighting on her face would be greatly appreciated!

DSC_0496 (2) by joecrisjon, on Flickr

DSC_0497 (2) by joecrisjon, on Flickr

DSC_0510 (2) by joecrisjon, on Flickr

A reflector would help a lot. Are these edited or are you just wanting cc on lighting?

I like #2 and #3 the best. In those you actually got rid of the brightness that was done in #1 which helped. Good Job

These are straight from the camera with no editing!!!! I'm looking for any advice!!! I'm still just learning so I'll take any and all advice I can get!

I would have really loved #3 if I had not cut her hand off!!!! UGH!

Im no expert in lighting but I can tell you that #1 and #2 are way blown out. Like misstwinklytoes stated you need a reflector. Also, you will want to take outdoor pics when the sunlight is not so harsh (i.e. dont take pics at noon when the sun is the highest). Keep practicing!

I'm by no means an expert, but here's my opinion. A reflector would have given you a nice light in the eyes without putting her in full flash. Listing your settings would help a lot as well. When editing I would warm up the photos a lot. They are very cool/bluish. I feel like her head is at an awkward angle in #1. Something about her under arm bugs me in #2. #3 her arm is cut off at an awkward point. She is too cute and has amazing eyes. You seem to have pretty good focus and an awesome subject. I could take a shot at editing one if you'd like. (To show you what I mean on the editing.) Keep working and have fun!

Misstwinklytoes....I'd love to see what you can do with editing!!!

Also can anyone suggest an easy to use reflector for a beginner!!!

C&C per req:

1. There are two main issues here: One is missed focus (it appears that your camera focused on the scarf below her neck and not on her eyes). When shooting single-person portraits, especially bust-shots, I recommend using a single focus point and ensure that is placed over the dominant eye, and that you use an aperture which will provide sufficient DoF to keep the whole face in sharp focus. The other issue (as you know is lighting). Looking at the blown highlights on her nose, and forehead, I'm not sure that a reflector would have provided enough fill to overcome the dynamic range. I think instead, you should have looked to an off-camera flash, or, if that was not an option a different location. Watch the cropping; her right arm is cropped right down the middle. Never a good look. If you need to crop, then do it boldly and never at a joint or along a limb's axis.

2. Much better, here a reflector would have given you just the extra kick you needed to really light up her eyes. Try and avoid the 90 degree rotation between head and body; instead limit it to 30-45 degrees at most.

3. Lighting as per #2; try for more distance between subject and background. The branches are distinct enough to be a distraction, and aren't really a good look.

Overall, these aren't bad at all. Try and get to the subject's eye-level rather than shooting down on them. Watch your focus, ensuring it's on the eyes. Portraits are all about the eyes. As for a reflector, it can be anything. Large sheets of white posterboard or Coroplast work well. A good 60" Photoflex 5 in 1 can be had for ~$150.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Most reactions

Back