Second Body?

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was thinking of the D800 but really, the megapixels scare me! I found a D700 locally for $1500 with 2K shutter clicks....I can't go wrong and if I were to upgrade later I can't imagine it going too much lower in value. How can I go wrong with 2 D700s?

I don't think you can go wrong. That's what I'd do in your shoes.

I was thinking of the D800 but really, the megapixels scare me! I found a D700 locally for $1500 with 2K shutter clicks....I can't go wrong and if I were to upgrade later I can't imagine it going too much lower in value. How can I go wrong with 2 D700s?

I didn't think I'd say this ever, but if you have the money for the D800 I would consider it. Then you will have the best of both worlds... those 36MP files do look rather incredible if your using the best glass. If I was going to have only one camera, I would have the D700 as my sole camera. If I was going to have two cameras, I would have the D700 and the D800 simply because the D800 will just produce something different to the D700. But I agree I wouldn't want a D800 as my sole body simply because 36MP would be a chore to use all the time.

I have the best glass, no issue there...

The deal fell through so I'm still looking.

If I do spring for the D800 it means

1) new learning curve
2) new peripherals (batteries, cards, grip, etc)

not ruling it out.

I have the best glass, no issue there...

The deal fell through so I'm still looking.

If I do spring for the D800 it means

1) new learning curve
2) new peripherals (batteries, cards, grip, etc)

not ruling it out.

Yeah, I think you should. The D800 is an unknown entity, it could be a case of you getting a D800 and seeing the quality of results you are getting and thinking 'damn, I nearly opted for a D700 over this'. If it dosen't work for you, you can always sell it for a great price and go back to a D700. You have the best glass already, no issue there. If I was you, I would be chewing at the bit to try out a D800 to see if it could take my work another level.

Philip Klinger on Flickr was using a D700, he started using a 5D Mark II for a few weeks and couldn't quite believe his eyes when he saw the extra detail he was getting from a 21MP sensor, this guy is a seriously good experienced photographer aswell and was stunned how the detail levels of the Mark 2 had enhanced the work he was doing. Imagine how big that jump will be with a 36MP monster sensor!!

Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it! OK I'm going to B&H.....hate to go in the hole right now but I have saved up just enough to cover the body.....

I know a used D3S is more than $3000 but that is what I would go for over the D800. I just have this feeling the D800 is geared more towards the video enthusiast. People will probably rip me a new one but that's the feeling I get. 36mp, same size sensor as the D700 for me means not as good in low light

Oh well....I ordered one from B&H

If I'm lucky enough to get it on the first shipment and change my mind I'm sure I can find a buyer locally. Nikon Josh's logic (and my lack of self-control) won me over. I have a good low-light camera and I'm sure Nikon's new processor will make up for the difference otherwise. Out doors and in studio it's really a mute point. I really don't need video but who knows, it may come in handy later ;)

So you ordered a D800?

I don't think you HAVE to shoot 36 MP all the time, right?

Also, you don't need all the peripherals if it is a "back-up body."

I think you might have been better off going with another D700 though. It's not too late. You can return the D800 and save the coin. It isn't like there's only one available, you know.

But if you just wanted the latest and greatest, I understand. ;)

No reason I wouldn't take advantage of all it has to offer. I have plenty of CPU, both my primary workstation and laptop are i7 quad cores and have 8gb RAM. I run 64bit editing software so OK there too.

I could of waited to see how low D700 prices will drop but I really need another body yesterday and I'm sure once I am familiar with it it will probably be my primary and the D700 secondary but we'll have to see on that one.

I always do love to have the latest and greatest, it's a f'n sickness, I know :D

No reason I wouldn't take advantage of all it has to offer. I have plenty of CPU, both my primary workstation and laptop are i7 quad cores and have 8gb RAM. I run 64bit editing software so OK there too.

I could of waited to see how low D700 prices will drop but I really need another body yesterday and I'm sure once I am familiar with it it will probably be my primary and the D700 secondary but we'll have to see on that one.

I always do love to have the latest and greatest, it's a f'n sickness, I know :D

Are they shipping already? I'm hearing different things depending on who is selling it

Oh well....I ordered one from B&H

If I'm lucky enough to get it on the first shipment and change my mind I'm sure I can find a buyer locally. Nikon Josh's logic (and my lack of self-control) won me over. I have a good low-light camera and I'm sure Nikon's new processor will make up for the difference otherwise. Out doors and in studio it's really a mute point. I really don't need video but who knows, it may come in handy later ;)

Good choice! Only bad thing about you taking my advice though is I am beginning to feel very jealous again!! I can't even imagine the level of excitement you are feeling right now about receiving this powerhouse of a machine. ;)

No, shpping is expected at the end of March but no promise was made for delivery...I just would really have hated spending $2-$2.3K on another D700 now to find out I missed the bus on a D800 for only $1k more. If it's not as I hope for then I'll have to deal with it, hopefully demand is higher than supply and I get in on the first shipment.

Honestly what's the downside possibleity? It should offer as much or more dynamic range as the D7000 if not the D700 and that's just fine ;)

I;m feeling equal parts of excitement and nervous anticipation....

As for the noise question. When you take a 36M photo, and then down sampling to 12M, will that help in reducing noise?

I don't mean D800 is not as good as D700 in noise handling, but wonder if that helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back