Second camera advise

Photosavvy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

Just in need of some advice/opinions on what people think are my best options. I've not been working professionally for too long and have the busiest wedding season so far coming up. I have a Canon 6D along with a Canon 24-70mm f/4L and a Canon 50mm f/1.4

I need another body but don't necessarily want to buy new or the 5D mark iv. What are peoples' opinions and experience when it came to the point where you needed more than one camera, particularly for weddings.

Thanks

Photosavvy :)

Controls on the back up body should be similar to your primary, or you WILL get confused.
There are times where you just have to move fast, and if the controls are significantly different, you could mess up.
How do you adjust the ISO, AF point, AF mode, or metering mode, etc. Any of the control that you tend to change during the shoot.
Example I was half lost when I picked up the T7i. It did not behave like my D7200. I had to think about the controls, I could not just "do it" like I can with my D7200.

After I got into photography my main camera was a 5Diii, but then when I started having to do more video I wished I had gotten two 6D’s instead of the one 5Diii (one thing even a nicer camera can’t do is be in two places at the same time). I spent a few months looking for a great deal on a 6D to use for a second angle, then I lucked out and found another 5Diii at about the price of an average used 6D, so I scored it without thinking twice. The day I bought it I had some buyers remorse because it felt gluttonous and unnecessary to have TWO cameras that were not just identical, but were more than I needed (I shoot portraits in a controlled environment for a living, and sometimes record short haircut videos, I don’t need 61 auto focus points. I should have gotten the 6D in the first place but I wanted to get “the best”). Anyways, fast forward, today I’m happy as a clam to have the same camera twice. In fact, whenever I upgrade again I’m not buying a new camera, I’m buying two of the same new camera. Way later I ended up getting a 6D for a third angle in video (which I use rarely) and I hate having to readjust my brain to use the controls, which are only slightly different than the 5Diii. That 4 seconds it takes me to remember how to find the white balance or picture profile becomes annoying. Sorry for the long story, but I meant it all to say that I ended up having identical controls by a lucky happenstance, but now that will always be worth the extra couple of bucks for me. My advice would be to get another (used) 6D, they’re dirty cheap since the 6Dii came out and they’re still very very capable cameras.

If you want an APS-C then either the 7D mark II or the 80D. I just got a T7i for travel and already have a 6D mark II but do not shoot professionally. I wanted the secobd body to be APS-C

If you want to stay full frame then either a 6D or 6D mark II for commonality. Of course no one would argue with a 5D mark iv but commonality is a huge benefit: think Southwest Airlines ... they fly only the 737 which means every pilot can fly every airplane.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back