Selective coloring in Lightroom?

MizzClix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I use Lightroom 4, and I know how to do selective coloring to an extent. But I'm trying to make part of a photo a preset (b&w high contrast) but leave a part of it colored. Is this possible? If so, please explain how I would go about doing it. Thanks in advance!

Lots of tutorials on youtube, just search selective color lightroom.

Be careful in how you do this; most of the time it is cliche and cheap looking.

I believe portrait and event photographers should know how to do selective color well. It's the client that chooses which photos they want, not the photographer (to an extent).

Just because a client wants something does NOT mean I will do it. It's a reflection on ME if I do it and there is no way I want anyone to see my work like THAT.
Selective color is only good when it accentuates the SUBJECT of the image. Not a sweater, or eyes or tie or flower. It then detracts from the image greatly.

MLeeK said:
Just because a client wants something does NOT mean I will do it. It's a reflection on ME if I do it and there is no way I want anyone to see my work like THAT.

I disagree. If I client wants something, and they're adamant, I'd bend over backwards for them. I'll deliver my very best to them. However, the only images that will ever be shown in my portfolio or on my website for anyone else to see will be a carefully curated selection of my best.

I believe portrait and event photographers should know how to do selective color well. It's the client that chooses which photos they want, not the photographer (to an extent).

I do event photography not that much now but they would not get a selective colour shot off me

I feel that selective color can still be a powerful tool. You don't see people refusing to do B&W's because the general public has done it badly and on the wrong photos. Just like B&W, when selective color is used wrong and done badly it shows. But, when it is used correctly the results can be astounding.

I feel that selective color can still be a powerful tool. You don't see people refusing to do B&W's because the general public has done it badly and on the wrong photos. Just like B&W, when selective color is used wrong and done badly it shows. But, when it is used correctly the results can be astounding.

For me there is no situation where selective colour works, you can't compare b+w to selective colour, B+W has soul

Just don't do it. Like HDR, it's cheap, kitchy, and cliche

Don't let the snobs spoil your fun. Selective coloring rocks!

The Late Molly Ivins put it best: I have felt the sting of their snotty scorn, the lash of their haughty sneers, and what I have to say is, "You Are Just Another Sticky Wheel on the Grocery Cart of Life."

Joe

elvis.jpg

Anyone one that does selective colour should be put up against a wall and shot

gary,gary,gary--that is just a waste of perfectly good ammo!!! They need to be forced to walk the plank--that's more of a "green" and "eco-friendly" solution! Gives the crabs and groundfish some nutrients, and returns calcium to Mother Earth.

For me there is no situation where selective colour works, you can't compare b+w to selective colour, B+W has soul

http://www.spako.lu/images/ny/ny0017.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back