Self Portrait and PP C&C

Smitzel269

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was being a real wussy about posting these up, I'm guessing because they are self portraits, but what the hey. What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. So here it is.

Self Portrait: I don't like how I am not looking into the lens. I was actually looking at the screen so that kind of messed up the shot. Cutting off the side of my face probably isn't too good, but that's kind of what I intended it to be. I dunno.
Not going to lie, but I was mainly just trying to get a decent looking profile picture for facebook. Just messing around with my Camera since I don't have many subjects to shoot since I got my camera a week ago.

img1351i.jpg

PP: I am not new to photoshop at all, but this is my first time ever editing a portrait. I tried to keep it simple. What do you think?

img1351z.jpg

Thank you all in advance. I thought I would leave you with this. I just came across when I googled "Post Processing in Photography" and found it pretty humorous.
Warning: 10 Deadly Post Processing Sins

Your eyes look soft. When you shoot this close, your DOF is very thin so you need to make sure you focus on the eyes.

Your eyes look soft. When you shoot this close, your DOF is very thin so you need to make sure you focus on the eyes.

Thanks. I completely forgot to change that! I just started using M(manual) mode on my camera so I keep forgetting to change things.

That will be perfect for Facebook, you don't want to be posting good photos on there you will look out of place

That will be perfect for Facebook, you don't want to be posting good photos on there you will look out of place

Lol...Thanks.

I would really like some more CC on my editing though, instead of my "self portrait".

Lol...Thanks.

I would really like some more CC on my editing though, instead of my "self portrait".

It was not worth editing due to how soft the focus is

Your edit looks yellow to me, might be my monitor though. And you forgot to make the obligatory kissy "myspace face" ;)

Jokes aside, just shoot again. Are you using a tripod or just holding the camera toward you?

i would have zoomed out so you dont crop out the hair, and focus on the eyes. as far as your edit goes it looks like you did a good job smoothing out the acne, but your skin looks a little jaundiced (yellowish). just my 2cents.

Shortpants: I was using a tripod.

Jgooz: That's what I was thinking too.

Smitz, judging by your self-pic i'm assuming your pretty young, (if i would guess 16-17ish). I think that's fantastic that you have a thing for photography at that age and it looks like you have a great camera to start out with. If I can suggest something since you said you didn't have alot people to shoot just yet. Maybe one of your friends would be available for you to drag around the local park or something to practice on, or if you have old dolls (I'm not kidding) sometimes they are great ways to dial in some of your close up face shots.

for example. my kids were sleeping in one morning and I was playing with my new flash. didn't want to drag them out of bed so i used one of their old dolls their gma bought them.

doll1-L.jpg

it's not the best example but you get the idea. it just takes time. but always always always focus on the eyes as they are the window to the soul. thats just my opinion.

Smitz, judging by your self-pic i'm assuming your pretty young, (if i would guess 16-17ish). I think that's fantastic that you have a thing for photography at that age and it looks like you have a great camera to start out with. If I can suggest something since you said you didn't have alot people to shoot just yet. Maybe one of your friends would be available for you to drag around the local park or something to practice on, or if you have old dolls (I'm not kidding) sometimes they are great ways to dial in some of your close up face shots.

for example. my kids were sleeping in one morning and I was playing with my new flash. didn't want to drag them out of bed so i used one of their old dolls their gma bought them.

doll1-L.jpg

it's not the best example but you get the idea. it just takes time. but always always always focus on the eyes as they are the window to the soul. thats just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice! Those are good tips. I have been trying to get some friends but most of them are the kind that hate their pictures being taken.

If you use sharpening techniques you can fix the softness of the eyes. Still follow others advise and focus on the eyes the result are not comparable.
img1351i.jpg

one thing that might help since you are using manual mode, is keep it on auto-focus and choose a single af point, centered typically and focus with that. it will end up with quicker af performance anyways since it wont be fishing thru all the af points. not to mention that camera you have prob can see better than you can so for the time being i would say it's okay to trust the af.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back