Self Portrait B/W

Oxytocinbite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got another self portrait, instead of going landscape I made it portrait. I like it, what do you guys think? I am probably going to get more later, I'm probably going to bug you all with the self portraits x)

I don't like the fax that it looks like you were looking at a screen above the camera. I think you nailed focus!! Good Job! I'm not crazy about that hair in your eyes. I think its to contrasty. I would like to see more hair texture because if you stare long enough at this picture it almost looks like your all neck and head kinda alienist no pun intended. If you had some hair detail on the top I think it would work better. I don't mind so much the chopped head tight cropped image some may disagree.

Maybe for BW this is the norm I am still learning on BW so I am no way in expert on what is technically good or bad all I know what looks good to me or not.

Skin tones look a bit too bright still, but I think you nailed the "look". I think overall it's just a bit too high in contrast though...your hair shows up basically as detail-free black space surrounding your face. Focus seems good, the full-face angle is flattering, and the camera's height and framing both work well.

The photo is technically effective and well done. I agree too high of contrast just artistically, although it is not very strictly blown out or blocked up, so you probably were very aware of your extremes and did this on purpose. So that's just a subjective preference difference.

The only other technical thing I see as an issue is really really weird catchlights in the eyes. Either you used like 15 too many lights, or that's a huge window with you and a camera and stuff standing in front of it? It is a little distracting (if it is a window, you standing just to the edge of it would create far fewer high contrast lines in the catchlight making it less noticeable)

I find the expression to be a bit overly dramatic/"emo" for my taste.

Pretty good overall!

haha Emo look, well I did heighten the contrast..which I can probably tone down. Yes I was in front of a window because it was a really good natural light source but that is about it. Thanks everyone, I will take all of what you have said into consideration for my next pictures.

Most reactions

Back