Self Portrait C&C

MushroomPirate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,
I've been looking through these forums for a while now. I just got my first DSLR a few weeks ago and I've just been playing around with it. I realized I enjoy taking portrait photos. I have these fabrics stored away, so I take them out and use them as backgrounds, and use two Ikea lights for lighting. Haha, obviously not optimal, but this is what I have. I'm shooting with a Nikon D5000 and a 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 lens. Slightly edited in Photoshop.
I would like some advice on how to improve. Please be as critical as you can be, I know this isn't great and there is something I can improve on.
Thanks!
3734666066_5331b307af.jpg

thats a pretty cool self portrait..its not like everyone elses self portrait..:thumbup:

I'm really no lighting expert, so I can't help you there, but ironing the sheets would be helpful to your image. I noticed the wrinkles right away. I like your composition and attitude.

yeah...the first thing I noticed are the wrinkles on the sheet. I would either iron it or blur it out. Personally I would slightly blur it out which gives a cool effect and make you stick out a bit more.

Second...I see shadows in your face. I don't know if that's the look your going for but since the sheets are more illuminated then you are it definetely throws me off.

Third...there's no focal point. The sheets are attracting attention just as much as the shadows and just as much as you the subject.

but pretty good for shooting with your first DSLR! Good improvision on the ikea lights. I'm a natural light shooter so i'm think your light years ahead of me:D. I wouldn't know how to setup two flashes for the life of me.

Step away from the fabric as far as you can to lessen the shadow on it.

And I also agree with ironing the fabric. Either that or make it more wrinkled.

BTW, your lighting is not bad at all.

Thanks for the advice and comments, I'll make sure to iron the fabric next time. Thanks for the tip on standing a bit farther back to make myself the focal point, I'll try that next time.
Also, camz, all I really did with the two Ikea lights were put them in different places until the lighting looked decent, I actually don't have any experience with setting up lights and all that either. I'm sure you have some sort of lamp lying around soemwhere, you should give it a try, it's probably been my favorite thing to do with my DSLR. :)

Strobist: Lighting 101

Read that and you'll be well on your way to understanding light. You can do a lot by just varying the light-subject and light-background distances. Moving yourself and the light away from the background will give you more fall-off and make the background darker.

Most reactions

Back