self portrait help!...

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want some natural photo's of myself and also some studio type images. (unfortunately don't have a studio kit as yet but have use of a white wall!) BUT, I'm finding it really out of my comfort zone and just cannot get a good image. I don't know how to pose myself and every time I do pose myself, I look back on the images and they're rubbish. I look SO bad in them which is really disheartening as they say 'the camera never lies' haha. However, I look fine if I'm joined by friends/family's but SELF PORTRAITS I look disgusting in :guilty: If anyone has any links to website on how to pose in front of the camera/ some own work of self portraits I'd be grateful. Here is the only one I snapped today having a play around and I still don't like the way I look. I generally don't have a clue on what to do infront of the camera. Likewhat faces should I pull? AHHH!!! (PS, I know the image isn't centred, was just having a play around).
$DSC_0854#.jpg

a couple tips to change.
Don't have your hips sqaure on to the camera .. angle your body, keep your arms and legs bent (don't cut off your hands if you are going to show part of your hand)
Get rid of the clutter behind you .. find someplace with a consistent background that you can take OOF so you don't have a tree growing out of your head.

those are my newbie unexpertise tips :)

I have billions of links to websites for posing ... but the good stuff you have to pay for.

So I want some natural photo's of myself and also some studio type images. (unfortunately don't have a studio kit as yet but have use of a white wall!) BUT, I'm finding it really out of my comfort zone and just cannot get a good image. I don't know how to pose myself and every time I do pose myself, I look back on the images and they're rubbish. I look SO bad in them which is really disheartening as they say 'the camera never lies' haha. However, I look fine if I'm joined by friends/family's but SELF PORTRAITS I look disgusting in :guilty: If anyone has any links to website on how to pose in front of the camera/ some own work of self portraits I'd be grateful. Here is the only one I snapped today having a play around and I still don't like the way I look. I generally don't have a clue on what to do infront of the camera. Likewhat faces should I pull? AHHH!!! (PS, I know the image isn't centred, was just having a play around).
View attachment 79609

I hear ya. It took me like an hour to get a 4 shots I liked. :lol:

You have to try to think backwards.

How would you pose your subjects? You need to think the same way. Make sure that the angle on the camera you would take on your subjects is the same on yourself. Make sure that your posing for your clients is the same posing for yourself.

Right away, in the image you posted above, your camera height is too low, and you're not adding any shape to your body by being straight-on to the camera, and just standing... kinda... straight.

Turn away from the camera a little, give yourself some curves by popping your hip and getting an arm away from your side.

Use all the portraiture tricks you know... just do it on yourself.

I can tell you the EXPRESSIONS I was making, didn't get better until I put a mirror behind my camera, when I was doing mine, haha. I have zero sense of what my face is actually doing until I see it, apparently. :lol:

You are super beautiful, and the camera does NOT lie. But it can also be a little seemingly drunk if you don't get your angles and lens combinations just right. :sexywink:

Definitely study up on posing like mentioned above. A few other thoughts. Does your camera have a way to connect live view to a laptop/ipad etc? Make sure you practice your poses and faces in the mirror! Bend anything that bends, Sit up tall, angle your chin, find something to do with your hands, weight on the back foot. This one is gonna make you :giggle: But, I like to play music to suit the mood I want in the photos. It loosens me up a bit. Think about times in your life that evict the mood you are trying to create. Shoot wide if you can, you can always crop later and there is NOTHING worse than getting THE shot, but having things cut off that shouldn't be. ( don't ask me how I know this.)

Sue Bryce has some awesome videos for posing Ideas, check those out on youtube if you have some time!

Again, practice in front of the mirror, then make mental notes on which angles suit you the best.

Good luck! Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Too bad E. Rose wasn't around when I needed Private C&C on my last set of selfies. Im sure your thought would have been insightful!

A big part of it is just being self-concious and tensing up; it's perfectly natural, we all do it (at least when we're sober). Watch your background; the large tree limb growing out of your right ear isn't adding to the strength of the image, and consider clothing choices too; there's nothing wrong with what your wearing, but is it right for the look that you are seeing in your mind for yourself. Plus, what everyone else said about posing.

Was I not around? Or was I just not paying attention? :lol:

Not sure. I don't remember you posting at the time, and you're a memorable member! So I think I would remember if you were active then.

Was I not around? Or was I just not paying attention? :lol:

Not sure. I don't remember you posting at the time, and you're a memorable member! So I think I would remember if you were active then.

Yeah I come in and out. And sometimes I'm in and don't say anything. Who knows what stage I was in at the time. :lol:

I've gotten to the point of jumping up and down, shaking my head, and just trying to get super-relaxed, then immediately snapping the shot after I quickly "pose". Otherwise I end up with crazy-eyes in my shots.

In this shot, I prenteded my cat told me a funny joke, and I was trying really hard to squint so my eyes didn't become demon orbs of death: https://www.flickr.com/photos/80607199@N08/14313886609/in/photostream/

I recall reading just this past week that alcohol helps on selfies.

When I was doing selfies I would just relax .. shake my arms .. get my entire body relaxed .. do some face squishes to relax my face, etc. then do the selfie.

Of course I was trying to learn flash lighting and all and I had to take hundreds of shots .. but that's another problem I had.

try the alcohol ... but just a little .. lol .. don't want to get into boudoir selfies

Most reactions

Back