Self Portrait (so to speak) - C&C

Olympus E300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fsharpphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright...At the risk of being laughed at, I am going to post this photo regardless. Yes, its a self shot portrait...That's me. Moving along...

Though I am not a religious man, I have been told on more than one occassion that I share certain facial features to that of a certain religious figure. In this photo, I have made an effort to re-create that image which many of us recognize. I played with the lighting until I think I achieved what I was after. A certain icon starring off into the divine light so to speak...

C&C ... Be harsh - it's how I learn! Thanks!
- Dan

P.S. The colors in my RAW & JPG versions are much richer than what is being seen here. I don't know why but whenever I upload an image, it gets dulled out some how. Cheers!

4432405497_73b3210d55_b.jpg

P.S.S. The image that WAS shown here has been deleted in favour of my last edit. It is found deeper within this thread...Thanks!

Last edited:
I totally see the resemblance, quite striking. I could see people commenting on the likeness of the young Willy Nelson.

The exposure looks good; shadows, highlights, etc. The catchlights work well with the "divine light".

Dominantly...As usually, you made me laugh! Thank you for that!! It's been a rather hum-drum day. Thank you for the critique as well. Its appreciated.

- Dan

LOL...To quote the great Eric Cartman -- "God damn dirty hippies!!"

I have been told on more than one occasion that I share certain facial features to that of a certain religious figure.

Thank God the photos were so well preserved that we still know what he actually looked like to this day. ;)

As a self portrait, I like it (a lot, actually). One thing is bugging me though... Where the hell are your nipples? :lol:

I think they are probably just barely cut off by the edge of the frame, and the way your torso is positioned - but it looks like we should be able to see them.

Thank God the photos were so well preserved that we still know what he actually looked like to this day. ;)

You know what I was getting at and that's the main thing. I won't let myself be drawn into such a debate (I'm not suggesting that you are initiating one). For the record, I am pretty much the furthest thing from religious as you can get. I like to quote the late, great George Carlin when I say "I was catholic until I reached the age of reason". For the most part I'm a "see it to believe it" kind of fella. I simply assume that those who have made such comments are people who compare my features to this said icon as he is "re-created" and represented through sculpture, paint or what have you. Where these sculptures or painters get their information is beyond me...

As a self portrait, I like it. One thing is bugging me though... Where the hell are your nipples? :lol:

I'm an alien...I don't have nipples. Actually, my left nipple is just below the frame while my right nipple is just slightly visible against my right bicept.

I won't let myself be drawn into such a debate (I'm not suggesting that you are initiating one).

Yeah - No need for that here (and I wasn't trying to start one).

Just saying - everyone assumes to 'know' what Jesus looked like, and he's usually white with blue eyes & blond hair, lol. Considering where he was born, I think that is unlikely. (He has a very 'European' look in many pictures.)

Still not trying to start a religious debate. Really! All I'm saying is, I think there is enough evidence to support that he really did exist - whether he was the Son of God or not, talk about that somewhere else. I just think it's funny that people pretend to know what he looked like ... that's all.

Last edited:
I won't let myself be drawn into such a debate (I'm not suggesting that you are initiating one).

Yeah - No need for that here (and I wasn't trying to start one).

Just saying - everyone assumes to 'know' what Jesus looked like, and he's usually white with blue eyes & blond hair, lol. Considering where he was born, I think that is unlikely. (He has a very 'European' look in many pictures.)

Still not trying to start a religious debate. Really! All I'm saying is, I think there is enough evidence to support that he really did exist - whether he was the Son of God or not, talk about that somewhere else. I just think it's funny that people pretend to know what he looked like ... that's all.

I wont disagree with anything you said there...In fact, I'm inclined to support your theory. In any event, lets get back to the intent of this thread. Cheers for the input! Its appreciated...

I'm currently working on some PP of this photo. I'm trying to bring my color back after uploading. I can't seem to figure out why the original file (as it is on my hard drive) is much more vibrant than the uploaded one. My uploaded versions always tend to lose some pop...Grey out so to speak. Its a bummer...LoL

Anyway...I think this has a little more color to it. More true to the original I believe...But I'm still not happy with it. This PP stuff is an artform all on its own!
4433898084_028bfe6d7f_b.jpg

P.S. The image that WAS shown here has been deleted in favour of my last edit. It is found deeper within this thread...Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm currently working on some PP of this photo. I'm trying to bring my color back after uploading. I can't seem to figure out why the original file (as it is on my hard drive) is much more vibrant than the uploaded one. My uploaded versions always tend to lose some pop...Grey out so to speak. Its a bummer...LoL

What color space are you editing in?

edit

The new one definitely has more 'pop'. Must say - I really love the background too, and I think it's fitting for this shot.

Wait, Jesus was of the "ARIAN RACE" :lmao: (Calm down folks, it was a joke (a bad one I know, but a joke non-the-less)

Great self portrait, I too like the "holy light" look and I think maybe a touch of saturation increase and you might just be there ...

BTW, does it disturb you that another guy wanted to know where your nipples were? :mrgreen: just wondering ... *lol*

Just seeing the second edit now ... what if you took out some of the yellow color? My daughter looked like the color of your skin (in the second edit) when she was born and the Docs had an issue with it.

Great self portrait, I too like the "holy light" look and I think maybe a touch of saturation increase and you might just be there ...
Thanks. I've really been working on lighting techniques lately. I still suck at it. I thought that this exercise would be easy enough that I might actually be able to achieve a presentable photo. For the most part, I am happy with it.

BTW, does it disturb you that another guy wanted to know where your nipples were? :mrgreen: just wondering ... *lol*
Nope. Good question though...LoL. To be honest, the potential ackwardness of the question never even entered my mind. Is that wrong? LoL

Cheers!
- Dan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back