The death of C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we can also assume that some people just don't have and eye for photography or art.

Quite often the 'nice pic' type comments come from people who tend to mainly post poor (sometimes terrible) shots themselves. So perhaps they genuinely don't know what a good photograph is. Again, I blame Instagram, Facebook etc etc (and the Hippies of course:allteeth:). Now, where's my Pink Floyd LP's.

Quite often the 'nice pic' type comments come from people who tend to mainly post poor (sometimes terrible) shots themselves. So perhaps they genuinely don't know what a good photograph is. Again, I blame Instagram, Facebook etc etc (and the Hippies of course:allteeth:). Now, where's my Pink Floyd LP's.

Whoa, Hey, leave the hippies outta this! They have had enough blame for the world’s problems:1247:

Whoa, Hey, leave the hippies outta this! They have had enough blame for the world’s problems:1247:

Ahhhh, too much free love and mind altering drugs in the 60's. Now we pay the concequences:D

What does TPF want to be - a photography forum or a snapshot sharing hangout? Are the mods and members acting in such a way to promote one over the other?

I have not post anywhere regularly for some time so feel free to ignore me. I still take plenty of shots. I spent an hour or so looking at the posted photos here as well as the replies. I then spent 10 minute at another site (C in C). Big difference in the postings as well as the comments.

I've had my issues with both sites, but if I were going to spend any time looking at/commenting on photography and had to choose a site ...

If TPF staff and users like what's going on here, then keep doing what you're doing.

Part of a forum’s problem is that we have no concrete proof the person giving a critique actually knows any more than we, the admitted novices, do. We have no way of seeing diplomas, accreditation’s from universities or proof of decades of work. Some of the people who give blistering comments have only posted enough photos on this site that I could count them on one hand since I have been here. We have to wonder about that little fact when considering a member’s critiques. If some were doctors, they’d be sued for malpractice given their bedside manner:048:

What does TPF want to be - a photography forum or a snapshot sharing hangout? Are the mods and members acting in such a way to promote one over the other?

I have not post anywhere regularly for some time so feel free to ignore me. I still take plenty of shots. I spent an hour or so looking at the posted photos here as well as the replies. I then spent 10 minute at another site (C in C). Big difference in the postings as well as the comments.

I've had my issues with both sites, but if I were going to spend any time looking at/commenting on photography and had to choose a site ...

If TPF staff and users like what's going on here, then keep doing what you're doing.

The point is more that we've provided the tools and that we can guide a little, but that in the end the membership is what makes the community what it is.
We've never tried to push the community one way or the other and have always approached it that a forum doesn't have be all or nothing of one group. You can have snapshots right alongside serious stuff very happily. There's many newbies that join up who need and want help and who ask; and there are many who do their thing and are happy with that.
We've got critique in every gallery; we've got a just for fun gallery; we've got beginner and intermediate section and we've got a critique gallery.

We can provide those tools and we dip our own toes into the water to do our thing as well and guide the site. But in the end if people leave to critique elsewhere we can't "stop" them nor would we want too. We'd always love to have more skilled photographers keen to pass on their knowledge to others; eager to help; willing to put the time in. But we can't make those appear out of thin air.

Part of a forum’s problem is that we have no concrete proof the person giving a critique actually knows any more than we, the admitted novices, do. We have no way of seeing diplomas, accreditation’s from universities or proof of decades of work. Some of the people who give blistering comments have only posted enough photos on this site that I could count them on one hand since I have been here. We have to wonder about that little fact when considering a member’s critiques. If some were doctors, they be sued for malpractice given their bedside manner:048:

I mean users can post their gallery links in their signatures to personal websites; they can post their photos to the site; they can stick their credentials in their signature. We've no back-end way to verify any details; or approve people and create a critique clique. In the end its up to each person to weight the pros and cons of any critique and come to their own conclusions. Indeed I'd encourage people to always question critique from ANYONE if they feel they don't understand it or agree with it; with a view toward encouraging discourse to develop to a deeper level. To have the person giving feedback go into greater depth whilst those receiving are showing positive reception and a desire to understand better; even if in the end they don't agree with it.

The point is more that we've provided the tools and that we can guide a little, but that in the end the membership is what makes the community what it is.
We've never tried to push the community one way or the other and have always approached it that a forum doesn't have be all or nothing of one group. You can have snapshots right alongside serious stuff very happily. There's many newbies that join up who need and want help and who ask; and there are many who do their thing and are happy with that.
We've got critique in every gallery; we've got a just for fun gallery; we've got beginner and intermediate section and we've got a critique gallery.

We can provide those tools and we dip our own toes into the water to do our thing as well and guide the site. But in the end if people leave to critique elsewhere we can't "stop" them nor would we want too. We'd always love to have more skilled photographers keen to pass on their knowledge to others; eager to help; willing to put the time in. But we can't make those appear out of thin air.

Chicken and egg. Quality photos and quality commentary attract a certain type of member. Letting entropy decide the fate of anything is a race to mediocrity.

What does TPF want to be - a photography forum or a snapshot sharing hangout?

These are not mutually exclusive.

Are the mods and members acting in such a way to promote one over the other?

I have not post anywhere regularly for some time so feel free to ignore me.

You just answered your own question.

How have I answered my own question? People are complaining about the quality of the images posted here and specifically about the fact that no one critiques these images accordingly.

What does TPF want to be - a photography forum or a snapshot sharing hangout?

Really? Not sure I agree. They are different things in my mind at any rate. Maybe you mean that TPF can cater to both, but I'm not sure that's true. I think there are people that will choose to post to a site based on the content of that site. I'm not making a judgement here. If you are all happy then fine. It seems this thread was posted by people who are not happy. I'm just taking part in the discussion as to why that might be the case.

How have I answered my own question? People are complaining about the quality of the images posted here and specifically about the fact that no one critiques these images accordingly.

You asked what mods and members are doing to promote aspects of the forum.

You said you do not post anymore.

Which means at least one of our members is doing nothing to promote one over the other.

And people aren't complaining about the quality of the photos. They are complaining that photos that they deem "bad" get positive feedback and no critique. Apparently this is a bad thing that bothers them terribly.

No one is saying that there's suddenly no good pictures and it's all just snapshots.

Really? Not sure I agree. They are different things in my mind at any rate. Maybe you mean that TPF can cater to both, but I'm not sure that's true. I think there are people that will choose to post to a site based on the content of that site. I'm not making a judgement here. If you are all happy then fine. It seems this thread was posted by people who are not happy. I'm just taking part in the discussion as to why that might be the case.

Just because they are different things doesn't mean they can't co-exist on one forum. Want to post snapshots? Post in Just For Fun or a Photo Theme gallery. Want critique? Post in the C&C forum and ask for feedback.

Why does everyone have to have the same exact purpose to get something out of this forum? I'm sure the folks who are here have chosen to hang out here for very different reasons because the forum is not just one thing. There is a variety of content, so to say that "people choose it for the content" still does nothing to say that it can't provide different kinds of content all at the same time.

As so many people have suggested countless times over the years, if the snapshot threads bother you, you can always just scroll on by them.

The thread was also started last year and out of that discussion, we started the C&C forum. We're only here beating the poor dead horse because it was randomly resurrected for lord knows what reason. There's no useful discussion coming out of it.

There's no useful discussion coming out of it.

Well, I suppose you're right.

I mean, it's only useful if people agree there's a problem and a solution needs to be found. If everyone is fine with the current state, then by all means carry on.

But then here were are at post 149.

There is a difference between photography and snapshots. And there are people that want one over the other. And they do care. And they want critique from other people who care and know the difference. That I know without question.

There's no useful discussion coming out of it.

Well, I suppose you're right.

I mean, it's only useful if people agree there's a problem and a solution needs to be found. If everyone is fine with the current state, then by all means carry on.

But then here were are at post 149.

There is a difference between photography and snapshots. And there are people that want one over the other. And they do care. And they want critique from other people who care and know the difference. That I know without question.

TPF has never been nor never tried to be a "professional gallery" type photography community. It's the photography club, not the gallery.

It caters to all skills from beginner to advanced and aims to provide a safe, friendly environment where people of all skills can share and choose to interact with who they wish. If you want higher calibre photography and such then there ARE better sites aimed at being more of a gallery (though its my impression that such sites often start up with that aspiration and attract many seeking that, but then quickly open the doors to any and all skills down the line as they grow in popularity).
We rely heavily on the members to help toward the sites content. If you want an atmosphere of high level discussion you've got to start the threads; provide the content and help foster and nurture that environment if you want to get there and attract others. We mods can do that too and we do, but at the same time we can't force people to do it.

Again instead of commenting here you could be providing critique to some of those snapshots from people who are keen to learn. You can be providing critique and input on those who are skilled and whom you consider your equal and betters; you can choose freely to engage with the community.

However any forum if you choose not to engage, will quickly lose all purpose to you. Nothing we do can change that, only you can choose to dip your toes in and engage the community. If you stay outside you'll only get frustrated .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back