Self portrait using long exposure

Lord Commander

Servant of the light
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello people! This image is made up of three different exposures. 25 second for the sky and background with 10 stop ND filter. 4 minutes for the waterfall with 10 stop ND filter and a standard photo without filter for me. Camera in the exact same position of course.

CC welcome on the composition, is there too much dead space? On big screen it looks great in my opinion but on a small phone it looks like I could have cut out a lot of space around me.

Fujifilm X-T2 16mm f11 ISO 100

26907552207_eb9247a276_k.jpg

I think so. By about 30% of the surface area of the picture. IMO you look too far away.

CC welcome on the composition, is there too much dead space? On big screen it looks great in my opinion but on a small phone it looks like I could have cut out a lot of space around me.

Great idea of mixing exposure times, my mind is already rolling an idea around. As to the composition my personal opinion is you have multiple elements that are all contributing to the whole. Strong visual elements, colors, leading lines, and frames within frames. These type of images don't typically look great on a tiny screen, you need a a larger presentation to take it all in. So to answer your question, it depends on where the intended image is to be presented.

Very well done, I like the concept and you've put it together very well. It's a very accomplished image that has some nice colours in there and I really like the subject being the waterfall and not the person and I don't think it would have worked nearly as well without.

My initial thoughts on it were to crop closer, but on closer inspection I totally understand why you've framed it this way and I think cropping further would just lead to a slightly weaker shot.

Great job!

PS - Nominated for Photo of the Month!

Last edited:
Really nice work Lord! Great vision and execution.

Thanks everyone! And cool to be nominated! I appreciate the feedback and will keep that in mind for sure!

I like the image and the way you set it up but... I'm curious on an industrial archaeology side line... Do you know anything about the history of the site and (if you don't mind me asking) where is it? :)

It's in Sweden, there is a gigantic mansion nearby that was owned by a rich family in the year of 1500. The mansion is still there but owned by a different family now, (and renovated a couple times no doubt) the ruins nearby were built in the year of 1836 and used to be a sort of iron ore processing place. The area around there used to be rich with iron ore you see. It was however moved somewhere in 1900 and left in the hands of nature. Now it is a place where the goats walk freely and feed. But it is accessible to everyone. What you see is only a small part of it.

Here is a small Wikipedia article about it but it's only available in Swedish Åminne herrgård, Kärda – Wikipedia

It's in Sweden, there is a gigantic mansion nearby that was owned by a rich family in the year of 1500. The mansion is still there but owned by a different family now, (and renovated a couple times no doubt) the ruins nearby were built in the year of 1836 and used to be a sort of iron ore processing place. The area around there used to be rich with iron ore you see. It was however moved somewhere in 1900 and left in the hands of nature. Now it is a place where the goats walk freely and feed. But it is accessible to everyone. What you see is only a small part of it.

Here is a small Wikipedia article about it but it's only available in Swedish Åminne herrgård, Kärda – Wikipedia

That makes sense, it looks a lot like some of the early industrial sites in the North of England. Probably it was the site of a water wheel. Look at the size of those stone blocks! They would have taken some shaping and moving without modern equipment - and it looks like they were fitted without mortar. :)

Thanks for sharing this and for choosing such an interesting scene. It lends itself to the image you've created and the processing really works. :)

P.S. My apologies for going off topic. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back