Self portrait

enzodm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did this some month ago, before buying a flash. Source of light was an halogen lamp, 150W, of those made for the living room.
Thanks for looking.

^^I agree, but If the hand was removed I think the shot would be too top heavy.

I like the lighting, but I'd like the shot much better if your hand wasn't in the shot.

mmm.... I did not know where to put it :) . Really, this is a crop from a larger pic, which I found interesting. Anyway, as I took a number of pics with that setup, I'll look whether other pictures without the hand might give a similar result. Thanks.

I second that... The hand in the shot kind of kills it. Bottom right corner seems a little over exposed?

oh, you are right! I'll check this also in the original RAW. After work, it's time to go now :( .

After looking at it more... and as the poster above mentioned--- "If the hand *is* removed... it may be top heavy..." I sort of agree...it would look top heavy perhaps.. but.. Eh. I dont know?! on the fence on this one. lol

When one is looking inward or absorbed in thoughts, this kind of pose works; but in this image, you are looking into the world outside; thus there is a mismatch in the pose and attitude; i think instead of single hand supporting your face, crossed fingers of both hands would suit this facial attitude more

Regards :D

Ok, I looked through the pictures I took that day, I found one similar but without the hand, and with the same crop it is not such pleasant (top-heavy). With a larger composition it seems better to me:

Jeatley: background was simply the white wall of a room in my home. Due to the kind of lighting, was more pink-orange than white or grey... old halogen lamp, nothing specialized.

No no doubt; this is far excellent compared to the previous one; not only in comparison, this is an excellent portrait with no pretensions

Regards :D

I think the first image would work quite nicely with a 2/3 or profile mask. In those positions, the hand would give perceived support for the head. As is, there is too much of a single line along the right edge of the frame, giving too much weight IMO and also causes the hand to be the predominant feature. I would try this again with the chin resting on the ball of the right hand with the fingers angling back towards the right ear. Also, try raising your camera angle slightly. You have distinctive facial features.

Not a fan of the second shot.

Frequency, Kundalini: thanks.

Frequency: I honestly still like both, but I understand the hand is too evident in the first. Anyway, the second one has different nice features. Both come from my first attempt to self-portrait - computer hooked to the camera, and EOS utility used to shoot series of pictures, with some second between them, while moving a little.

Kundalini: the presence of a vertical line, which I put on one third, was something wanted by me, but I did not consider it gives importance to the hand. By the way, the hand results lighter than the face, helping in making it more evident.
Next time I'll try (now I have also a flash) to follow your suggestions; but not profile, I do not like it :) but .

Most reactions

Back