Self Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a self portrait today. I used my camera bag, a rock, and my camera strap as a makeshift tripod because I don't own a tripod. After this I'm definitely going to buy one lol.

Shot in natural light. Canon 5D MKI, Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens set to f/4.5, 1/200th sec, ISO 1000
_mg_2880_by_danostergren-dchxfso.jpg

I think a rock has been used more than once, Dan. I know I have used rocks, sticks, personal items from my pockets to angle a camera up when wanting to include myself in an outdoors shot. I like the dark look of this one.

Nice, I like it. Self portraits are so hard. You did a great job nailing the focus and the lighting. Would never suspect that this was a self portrait if you hadn’t said so. Usually the give away is lack of good eye contact but you’ve got that just right here.

This is cool man, I think the very subtle dark leafy backdrop really elevates this and the lighting is really solid. Nice work.

nice shot. wonderful light and rendering. that lens has some line magic, no doubt.

Very well done.

I think a rock has been used more than once, Dan. I know I have used rocks, sticks, personal items from my pockets to angle a camera up when wanting to include myself in an outdoors shot. I like the dark look of this one.
Sometimes we just have to be crafty to get the shot. I definitely don't want to have to keep doing it this way, but I'll do it if I have to.

Nice, I like it. Self portraits are so hard. You did a great job nailing the focus and the lighting. Would never suspect that this was a self portrait if you hadn’t said so. Usually the give away is lack of good eye contact but you’ve got that just right here.
Thank you! Yes, I think great eye contact is necessary for a great portrait. Not to say I don't like a portrait with an off-camera stare though.

Great dark and moody looking self portrait Dan, mono really does suit it.

I'm absolutely in love with your B&W, such nice hightlights

Most reactions

Back