Self Portrait

Emma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried smiley ones but they just looked stupid, I think this shot exposes me the most, everyone thinks I'm this happy go-lucky, bubbley girl but really I'm still dealing with the death of my father along with other things. I also found it's incredibly hard to shoot decent pics of yourself without creating awful shadows all over the place ect.
anyway!
here's the picture :sexywink:

me3jr7.jpg

I like it.

A lot. I would say it could have had more light, but I think that adds to the
emotion of the photo. Good sharp capture too.

Sorry about your dad. It's hard.

yea i know what you mean Emma... i dont smile in pics either... but then vampires generally dont smile :greenpbl:

.... well i can a little actually.... but after testing many self ports, i found that a slight smile (which is not the kind you'd really use alot in real life) looks better than a full on (say cheese for the camera) type smile.... so maybe experiment a bit with that... the tough part is finding a smile that looks natural but not too OTT....

.... but moody is still a good expresion to use for self ports... especially if thats how you feel right now....

you could try some kind of reflector too... i like the light here... but the left side of the face has a bit too much shadow for me.... so a white board (or something similar) would help to even out the shadows a bit.... nice one :thumbup:

thankyou =)

yes, it is hard, but I'm always telling myself it could be worse x.x

I like it too.

I think that portraits should transmit feelings and soul. And this portrait is very expresive. Besides, it is always very difficult to take self portraits. Hard to compose, hard to focus, and so on. I think you did it pretty well. And I do like that is kind of dark. More light will have change the feeling that comes from it.

Sorry about your dad too. Just smile as he sure would have liked to see you.

thankyou everyone =)
I did notice the dark shadow on one side of my face, but it was hard having the light facing straight on without creating more shadows with the camera itself =/

thanks for giving it a try! :) :) finally someone who listens to me ;)

And the outcome is much better than my first try. much more moody light. The shadow cast on your right eye is a bit strong as mentioned by others. a second lightsource could help here. just keep experimenting :)

Don't worry about the expression on your face ... I like it, abit more on the in-thought side. but that is fine.

There is no good image of myself with a natural smile ... !

Sorry to hear about your father :( :hug::

This picture is really great! I love black and white pictures, they seem to capture a whole different side of a person.

thankyou everyone =)

Most reactions

Back