What's new

Self-Portraits are the toughest..

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got bored and setup a quick 2 light shot in my bedroom. Not enough room to move around, wished I had used an umbrella instead of the small beautydish for the rim, and a few other nits. What are your thoughts?



Selfie? by f_one_eight, on Flickr




Jake
 
That dude looks kinda sketchy...but the picture of him is pretty okay! ;-)

I like to see more depth of field on a headshot, but hey...some people like the nose OOF and the shallow DOF look, which this has, and it has a wonderful "quality" about it. It's a great record of what you actually look like right now, this year, at this stage of your life. Keep this image safe! Maybe repeat it every six months for 40 years. Might be a fun project.
 
That dude looks kinda sketchy...but the picture of him is pretty okay! ;-)

I know! He won't get outta my room... sh**! He's practically on top of me!
 
Have your upper body showing in angle and turn you head a little bit, and you will look like The 40-year old virgin.

Is that a good or a bad thing?
 
That dude looks kinda sketchy...but the picture of him is pretty okay! ;-)

I like to see more depth of field on a headshot, but hey...some people like the nose OOF and the shallow DOF look, which this has, and it has a wonderful "quality" about it. It's a great record of what you actually look like right now, this year, at this stage of your life. Keep this image safe! Maybe repeat it every six months for 40 years. Might be a fun project.

That'd be pretty cool. And that's true. It's me, right now. So if anything, I can look back in a few years and say "what a goofball I was!"
 
Oh my! You're a baby!!!

That I am. Expected an older fellow?

Well, probably. Don't know why, though! It's just the Internet thing, of imaging a person's looks based solely on their posting. I guess. Weird. But yeah, I'm jealous.

:salute:
 
Well, probably. Don't know why, though! It's just the Internet thing, of imaging a person's looks based solely on their posting. I guess. Weird. But yeah, I'm jealous.

:salute:


Jealous of my age? haha

Well of course! Youth is so wasted on the young!!!

BTW............. you're a good-looking kid.

If I could catch you guys I'd beat you with my cane :oldman: :playball:


btw, you're right. That beauty dish wouldn't work no matter what ... :biglaugh:
 
I love the shallow DOF - I'm a big fan of shallow DOF in portraits, but the composition is mediocre - there's room for a much more interesting crop and it looks half a stop under.

I actually really like the harsh rim light. It adds some drama.

You really nailed the focus though - not easy on a selfie! Well done!

EDIT: It says we're ok to edit under your avatar, so I had a quick play! I upped the exposure by a 3rd of a stop, reduced some of the reds in the skin and cropped it so that the (camera right) eye is on the upper right 3rd.

kb887l.jpg
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom