Self-Portraits are the toughest..

hi DBJ, nice to meet you

I love the shallow DOF - I'm a big fan of shallow DOF in portraits, but the composition is mediocre - there's room for a much more interesting crop and it looks half a stop under.

I actually really like the harsh rim light. It adds some drama.

You really nailed the focus though - not easy on a selfie! Well done!

EDIT: It says we're ok to edit under your avatar, so I had a quick play! I upped the exposure by a 3rd of a stop, reduced some of the reds in the skin and cropped it so that the (camera right) eye is on the upper right 3rd.

kb887l.jpg

Nice! I always have a tough time consciously choosing to crop of part of a face in a portrait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice job with the BG color! seamless.

nice job with the BG color! seamless.

I found a piece of black cloth a month or so ago, and it's been working impressively as a makeshift background.

I was talking about Astro's conversion to blue from black.

But yeah, I did the same, went to a fabric store and bought rement fabric for very cheap (non-reflective velvet material). Walmart is a good place to go as well.

Then I used iron on seaming stuff to make a loop at the end. I have a long dowel bolted up to the joists in my basement and I can slide on whatever color I have handy.

I was talking about Astro's conversion to blue from black.

But yeah, I did the same, went to a fabric store and bought rement fabric for very cheap (non-reflective velvet material). Walmart is a good place to go as well.

Then I used iron on seaming stuff to make a loop at the end. I have a long dowel bolted up to the joists in my basement and I can slide on whatever color I have handy.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

I have an old big white blanket that I use a 4th flash & gels for changing BG colors
Though I lack black. For black I try to move the subject way up and just do the normal aperture all black then add flash.
But I don't have quite enough room in my basement for that. So sooner or later I'll get a black BG myself. Though I like coloring the white to grey or any other color better.

I have an old big white blanket that I use a 4th flash & gels for changing BG colors
Though I lack black. For black I try to move the subject way up and just do the normal aperture all black then add flash.
But I don't have quite enough room in my basement for that. So sooner or later I'll get a black BG myself. Though I like coloring the white to grey or any other color better.

I need some gels.

Gray is nice and allows you to get blacks easier, and still go white if you blast it with light, and gels still work on it.

Gray is nice and allows you to get blacks easier, and still go white if you blast it with light, and gels still work on it.

Hmm. What I really need is a proper background setup..

I initially used a bathroom shower curtain rod hung from my basement ceiling & small clamps to hang the blanket from, though limited in width.

Then I graduated to this --> JTL 10 x10 Feet Heavy Duty Steel Background Support Set 5022

then adding this --> Adorama Solid Color 10 x 20FT Muslin Background, White 701L

Initially I used small colored gels right in front of the flash, such as these --> Rosco Roscolux Swatch Book,Small Sampler of Filter 8807

but realized that the gel is much better further away from the flash, now this --> Smith Victor 650021 Color Effects Rainbow Filter Pack 650021
used a coat hanger, rebended to the shape I wanted, which holds up a Binder Clip which you use to hold the larger gel sheet.

seamless paper is better, But I lack the storage space for the big looooooong roll. I'm sure it would get torn, etc from the few times I would actually use it, so the cotton/muslim is better for my usage. --> Savage Background Paper 107inx12yds Super White, #1 1-12

Most reactions

Back