Self Portraits | Studio Lights | Before/After Editing

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been wanting to update my LinkedIn profile pic for some time now and figured Id sit myself down and fool around under my lights.

300 photos later and I had two i didn't hate. After I got one for LinkedIn, I really wanted one with my awesome jean jacket. Because helllo, it's a jean jacket and it's awesome.

And in the style of @DanOstergren I wanted to show some before/after editing work.

enjoy.

LinkedIn Profile Selfie
by The Braineack, on Flickr

Jean Jacket Selfie
by The Braineack, on Flickr

These were both lit the same way: I had my 36x48" softbox above me nearly camera axis pointing nearly straight down and I was holding a reflector to soften the shadows under my chin and get a little more light to the side of my face camera left (butterfly if you will). Then just a second light positioned under my chair pointing back up to my backdrop -- i angled it slightly to light the area behind dark side of my face more than camera right. simple.

lighting-diagram-1446647569.png

Here's a screen grab of the skin-smoothing I did. I like to keep it as natural as possible while evening out skin tones and removing blemishes:
upload_2015-11-3_18-4-51.png

upload_2015-11-3_18-5-45.png

upload_2015-11-3_18-6-7.png

Otherwise these are pretty much straight out of camera with a crop and simple processing in LR.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-3_18-5-28.png
    upload_2015-11-3_18-5-28.png
    670.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Skin looks a wee bit red on my monitor, but otherwise solid work, I know how much of a bear studio selfies can be.

edit: just realized it was more of the screengrabs than the final images. :oops:

It's soooo hard when you can't see how ugly you are.

First two are final, my skin is a little red so looks normal to me. Rather red than green I guess.

using tapatalk.

Great job, autoportraits can be a pain.
I don't know why but when I look the after, before photos, I prefer the unedited ones, with the darker shadow your face is a bit less round than in the edited one, which is more masculine IMOH, but without the comparaison I wouldn't have say anything... Great job!

Good job . Hope it's okay to comment...Your eyes look naturally relaxed in the blue shirt shot, but not as much in the jean jacket shot. The way you are holding your jacket is a little odd imo.

Good job . Hope it's okay to comment...Your eyes look naturally relaxed in the blue shirt shot, but not as much in the jean jacket shot. The way you are holding your jacket is a little odd imo.
Jacket grab gave me no heartburn (because-hey, it's a jean jacket!), but I do prefer the expression in the blue-shirt version.

I try SOOOOOOOOO hard to close my eyes a bit when I take photos -- I just have intense serial killer eyes.

Pose was just fun, popped the collar and grabbed it, was just trying something different, beats my "sexy" pose:
2015-11-02.png

the last one is the best one

seriously

Look like excellent self portraits to me. Now if you really want to go wild try the cool jean jacket with out a shirt underneath!

Look like excellent self portraits to me. Now if you really want to go wild try the cool jean jacket with out a shirt underneath!

no one wants to see that -- not until I'm closer to 5% BF*.

*this won't happen.

Most reactions

Back